Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Net Neutrality: What it Really Means, and How it Could Impact You

Net neutrality. That sounds like a friendly term, like something we all would WANT, right?

When I first heard people talking about Obama’s attempt to push the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to “keep the internet free and open” I thought, well, that sounds good to me. Last Monday, in his plea for the implementation of rules for net neutrality, Obama used terms like “fairness” and “freedom”. He expressed the need for more government control to ensure equal Internet access for everyone.

And he said that abandoning the principles of net neutrality “would threaten to end the Internet as we know it.”

But, as with everything else that interests me, I had to research it for myself. Whenever a politician (especially one who aggressively forces things like Obamacare) pushes for something, I think it is natural to have some level of skepticism.

So, for the last week, I have been heavily researching this so-called “net neutrality” to find out what it is all about, and why so many support it.

In reality, “net neutrality” is as confusing as its name.

There are two pieces to this that need to be identified and explained before we go further. One is the term “net neutrality”and other is Title II regulation.

What IS net neutrality?

More

No comments: