Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, October 06, 2013

Letter To Governor O'Malley

Mr. Albero,

I penned the following letter earlier this week, and have sent it to Annapolis. A facebook post with the letter enclosed has been shared over 1,000 times on Facebook. Seems to be spreading father than I imagined it would, so I wanted to send it to you directly, rather than someone else sending it your way. Feel free to do with this what you would like. I would like to clarify that I am not trying to say that Police, Volunteer Firemen, and National Guard members do not deserve the tax breaks they get. They certainly do. I'm just trying to shed light on the current situation in Maryland, and how it is driving residents like me away. I would also like to clarify that these views are my personal views and are not the views of any branch of the military. I make these statements as a private citizen, not as a representative of the US Armed Forces. Take care.

Ian Insley

"Mr. Governor,

The writing of this letter is the last act I will perform as a resident of the State of Maryland. I have served on Active Duty for almost 10 years. I am preparing to depart active duty, and must make some choices in my life. My family has lived on Maryland’s beautiful Eastern Shore for generations, dating back beyond the revolutionary war. One of my ancestors served as a Lt Col during the Revolutionary War, and fought to free America from an oppressive British Government and establish freedom for our Nation. I have much pride in my heart for the amazing things that Marylanders have done throughout our history. However, due to your administration’s policies and taxes, I can no longer justify moving back to my home.


For the last 10 years I have paid Maryland State Taxes, while at most stepping foot on Maryland’s soil for 30 days a year. This to me, was the cost to say proudly that “I am a Marylander”. I watched as fellow service members received tax breaks, and benefits from their home states, in recognition of their service. Each year, I saw that there are tax breaks given to Police Officers, Volunteer Fire Fighters, and National Guard members. Nothing for Active Duty service members. This seemed a little unfair, but I complied.
As I began to consider the next chapter in my life, I looked at all my options. I could move back home to Maryland, where my family lives. This option after reviewing costs of living, taxes, and job market, was not possible. You have created an environment that is not desirable for people to live in. Working people that is. Your administration continues to take money out of the pockets of hard working men and women, and hand it over to un-deserving parties in the name of “equality”. I understand programs designed to give people in times of hardship a helping hand to get back on their feet. I also understand supporting individuals with medical/health issues that prevent them from being able to support themselves. However the guidelines and requirements for this aid should be more clearly defined. Providing un-supervised monies to individuals with no legitimate health or medical concern is ridiculous. If you are going to take my hard earned money and give it to someone who does not contribute to society, than there needs to be a paper trail right down to the last loaf of bread. There should be no option for these individuals to use these funds on anything other than LIFE NECCESSITIES.

Your tax policy has grown more and more ridiculous. Taxing homeowners for the rainwater that falls on their property was the last straw. I already pay considerably higher taxes than most of my co-workers and friends who are residents of other states. Recently, when I was married my wife and I had to decide whether she would claim Maryland of her taxes, or Hawaii, as we are currently stationed in Hawaii. If we had chose Maryland, which she was never a resident of prior to marriage, we would have paid twice the amount of income tax to state and local governments. This is ridiculous considering that money was not received in Maryland, and her only tie to the state is her Marriage to me.

I know that this letter will most likely fall on deaf ears. Your priorities are obviously not with people like me. Please know that it is with a heavy heart that I will be relocating to another State at the conclusion of my active duty service. I have already begun the process of changing my residency as my desire after my service is to move to Florida. The job market, housing market, and taxes are much more reasonable, and I will have more opportunities to succeed there in life. I ask you to consider the comments I have made here in regards to benefits for your active duty Marylanders. Although it is too late to change my outlook, or to benefit me, possible future changes could help someone else. Please don’t bother having someone draft an automatic draft letter thanking me for contacting you. I desire no return correspondence. I ask that you reply with action rather than empty promises on paper.

Ian D. Insley"

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

May God Bless you in your future endeavors Ian (and wife). As you said your (IMO) outstanding letter will fall on deaf ear but please know many many Marylanders feel as you do but are unable to get out of Maryland.

Our family owns a 4th generation farm so we are here to stay - but our 4 college graduates have choosen to live in other area, with less taxes and more jobs.

Anonymous said...

well done, Nice job... THank you for your service.

Anonymous said...

Never spoken better sir. Thank you for your service. The last paragraph says it all, "on deaf ears" because Owe-Malley is a self serving ego maniac. Got to get those votes from the don't want to work workers.

Anonymous said...

"someone who does not contribute to society"
I was wondering who might these people be? Would they be the same ones that Some worked so hard to set free, to shed blood for, And make excuses for. Now all of a sudden you want a paper trail down to a loaf of bread. Get real! They are what they are. You can't make something out of nothing. Look around! Large cities are reverting back to tribal rule. Nothing has changed.
Living in Maryland is no different then any other location. The laws are because of the people you all put in office gave you. Running away will not help. Any where you go now days has problems brought on by do good doers not common sense

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, thank you for your service and thank you for sending this letter, very well stated. The best of luck to you and your wife in the future. O'Malley, like Obama, has made it way too easy for people who do not work to ever return to doing something constructive and responsible.

Anonymous said...

WTF is this guy talking about? Police DO NOT get a single tax break. PERIOD.

Anonymous said...

thank you fellow patriot. fantastic letter. wish all would follow suit. much would change if we did this...

by line; I send letters, emails and make phone calls. please fellow patriots; commit to do the same.

Anonymous said...

good luck and a waste of time writing it but if it helps you all sleep at night then be my guest...

Anonymous said...

First of all, thank you for you service to our Country. My husband is retired military and we returned to Maryland afterward so our children could spend quality time with their grandparents. When we retired, we moved to Florida and couldn't be happier.

Sgt USMC said...

I forgot to include Volunteer before Police. I apologize for my typographical errors. The Police officers I was referring to are "Volunteer" Police Officers as stated in the following paragraph of the Maryland Tax code.
"The Honorable Louis L. Goldstein Volunteer Police, Fire, Rescue and Emergency Medical Services Personnel Subtraction Modification Program. $3,500 for each taxpayer who is a qualifying volunteer as certified by a Maryland fire, police, rescue or emergency
medical services organization. $3,500 for each taxpayer who is a qualifying member of the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary as certified
by the organization. Attach a copy of the certification."

Thank you for those who have offered support, and well wishes, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your families as well.

Anonymous said...

12:38

Reconsider your comment.
Police, firemen, teachers all receive special interest rates for home purchases. Maybe deservedly so for police and firemen. "Teachers" (joke in MD)not so much. Better check your facts.

Anonymous said...

anyone with half a brain will be leaving the state shortly As I am ....working to get house on the market and move soon ..mdl is going down the tubes and I don't want to stuck here

Anonymous said...

God Bless and good luck...most likely, your letter will never be seen by anybody in power. They ignore and trample on people that don't agree with them.

Anonymous said...

God speed ! Well said. - we will leave MD as well - ASAP ! Hard enough taking care of my own family - OMuddy just keeps his fancy shined shoes on the back of my neck!

Anonymous said...

Ian,

From a former teacher of yours (brrrum bum bum brrrupupupupum) Thank you for your service and this letter. You get it! Thank god you get it!(wish Krys did)
You are Awesome! God speed!
HOOAH

Anonymous said...

Wrong, police do not get ANY special interest rates or tax breaks in MD.