Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, November 12, 2012

With Your Help, We Won BIG!


Thank You!
 
Andy Harris Wins Re-Election with almost 64% of the vote!

Years ago, my mother and father immigrated to this country to escape the iron curtain of Communism in Eastern Europe.

Throughout my childhood, my father spoke of the greatness of America. He spoke of the American Dream not as some abstract idea, but as a man living it every day.  He spoke of freedom as a man who experienced tyranny.  You see, he understood freedom of religion, because he saw churches burned by government agents.  He valued free markets because he saw an all powerful government takeover individual businesses.  He cherished the Bill of Rights (or freedom), for he spent time in a Soviet gulag for opposing Communism.     

While he is not with us today, the values he taught me are ones I take with me to floor of the House of Representatives each time I vote.  I tell you this, not because I am a proud son, though I am, I tell you this because I think it is important for you to know my commitment to freedom and preserving our way of life.  

Our nation faces real challenges. 7.9 percent unemployment. 12 million Americans out of work, 45 million Americans on food stamps, 28 percent of students fail to graduate high school, 16 trillion dollars in debt, Gas at $3.24 a gallon. These challenges are serious.  America is on the brink of declining and losing its place as a leader in the world.   

I am not one who believes America’s best days are behind. Throughout our history, Americans never shrink from great challenges.  Time after time, generation after generation of Americans have tackled problems far greater than the ones we face today.  

A band of brothers longed for freedom, threw some tea in the Boston Harbor, and defeated with bayonets and horses the strongest military in the world at the time.  Lincoln and a generation of leaders ended slavery. Yet, Americans did not stop there, they went further and made our nation THE beacon of freedom for the world. Not only did we overcome the Great Depression, we rose out of it to create the largest economy in the world. The greatest generation not only won World War II, they ended fascism in Europe. Reagan and a group of patriots won the Cold War without a single shot being fired, and pressed on until they freed millions of people from the plague of Communism.  

I have confidence that our generation can confront the challenges we face, restore America’s greatness, and in the end, in my heart of hearts I believe America will rise to be more prosperous than before.  I believe in American greatness and I will not apologize for it.  


Sadly, the Presidential race did not turn out the way I would have liked.  While fewer Americans supported President Obama than did four years, our candidate came up just a bit short.  

I am so grateful for the people who made my victory possible; my wife Cookie, my kids Joe, Becky, Irene, Jessica, and Danny, my daughter in law Carolyn and my little grandson Charles.   

So many volunteers and campaign supporters gave their time and money and I could not have won without their support for which I am also grateful. I also want to thank my campaign manager Kathy Szeliga, Campaign Chair Ellen Sauerbrey, campaign staff Matt Proud, Tom Clements, Bonnie Luna, Joe Sliwka and the county coordinators and volunteers across the district. Finally I want to thank my congressional staff.  They have served the citizens of the First District well and I appreciate their work.


Thank you and God bless you and your families.
 

Andy
Andy Harris, M.D.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job Sir, and keep Obama off our door steps!