Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Thousands of Verizon Wireless Customers Receiving Strange Bills, BBB calls it "Phishing"

Thousands of Verizon Wireless customers have been receiving a monthly bill in their email boxes in recent weeks. 

Some have paid it with barely a second thought: Bad idea. 

Because the Better Business Bureau is now issuing an alert , calling this is one of the best "phishing" scams yet. 

Looks Very Legitimate 

Karen Littman is a longtime Verizon Wireless customer. So when she received an email from the company, she immediately opened it up. 

"It says your current bill for your account is now available online for My Verizon," she said.
That made sense, as did the figure, which appeared to be just a couple of dollars more than her normal bill. "My normal bill is $120," Littman said, "so this just looked like a decimal point in the wrong spot." 
     
But she says when she looked more closely she realized the bill wasn't for $120, but for more than a thousand. "It was saying I have a bill of over $1,200."

More

6 comments:

LuCinda said...

I got a text this weekend that said my verizon account was blocked because I had not updated my contact information on line and gave me a website to go to. I did not go there but istead went to the verizon wireless website and found that my account was fine. I called the number associated with the text and after ringing about 10 times it was answered by someone with an asian cartoon like accent. I hung up and deleted the text.

Anonymous said...

We got several of these e-mails at work & figured they were a scam. Verizon had us fax one to them so they could continue their investigation. The website has a "UK" after it, also.

Anonymous said...

they are crooks,period.my contract ended last week....thank god.ill never look back.straight talk offers everything they do at less than half the price.

Anonymous said...

We've been bringing these emails to the attention of Verizon Wireless AND Comcast for MONTHS!
They just say "we're aware of these emails and we suggest you don't click on any links".
They could CARE LESS!

Anonymous said...

While conversing in German, always address the older generation by the word 'sie'.

Anonymous said...

They may not be in a position to help it to or they could not understand
what they're doing wrong/not doing appropriate.