Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tee Shirts & Bumper Stickers Flying Out The Door

Well, I must be saying and doing something right because people are still coming by every single day and getting their free tee shirts and bumper stickers.

One gentleman came by this morning and said, I wore your tee shirt in WalMart the other day. I thought, hmmmmm? He said, Joe, it was unbelieveable how many people were giving me the thumbs up throughout the entire store.



PEOPLE WANT REALISTIC CHANGE!

We're sick and tired of the bickering, We'll change that. People are sick and tired of the tickets every time they come into Salisbury, we'll change all that. In the last two Council Meetings I stood up and discussed my disgust with the parking meters and tickets.

I shared with the public last night the FACT that 50% of all the revenue brought in from the parking meters and tickets goes into the General Fund. SINCE WHEN IS GOVERMENT IN THE PROFIT BUSINESS, so much so that 50% takes care of all the upkeep, salaries, health insurance, office space and so forth and the other 50% profit goes elsewhere.

It's time to get rid of the parking meters in most areas. You wouldn't put them at the Zoo, would you???? The excuse would be, why would you punish those people visiting the Zoo. Well, why would you punish the people coming to visit our Downtown???

Kate Gibson said it perfectly last night. I come Downtown to do business. As I put money in the meter and walk up the Plaza I see a new Deli. I think to myself, boy, I'd really like to try their food, maybe I'll stop in for lunch. After taking care of my business and staying longer than expected I walk down the Plaza and I start to panic thinking I may not have enough money in the meter. So instead of stopping and giving them business at the new Deli I instead head as quick as I can to my car to get the hell out of Salisbury before I get a ticket. She went on to say that the Mayor is driving people OUT of Salisbury as fast as they can.

Take the 2 hour parking lot building and MOVE it to the Court House parking lot! Why are we paying someone to sit from 8 am to 7 pm to collect 2 hour FREE parking tickets? No one heading into Court first thing in the morning is thinking about getting quarters before they go to Court. Its already a stressful enough day having to be there. So move the Booth to that parking lot instead and charge by the hour! Open up the 2 hour lot to FREE parking, period.

We have a TON of better ideas for Salisbury, Ideas that WILL encourage people back to the Downtown area. Come on down to 300 W. Main Street and get your Bumper Stickers and Tee Shirts. Show your support so together we can all make the right kind of changes for the City.

2 comments:

lmclain said...

The parking lot for the courthouse (District Court) is a huge scam on the public. You have no idea how long you will be in court so you can either take a chance and put a couple of quarters in the meter, or load it up. There are no refunds, but there ARE parking tickets. I hope you can fix THAT problem, Joe....

Anonymous said...

You're going to get rid of the bickering? Better be ready to boot Laura Mitchell and Shanie Shields to the curb. They were sickening last night! Plus it seems obvious they are going to run another stupid petition drive with Ireton just to mess up the Salisbury elections and blame the rest of the council.

Good luck, Joe, you're gonna need it!