Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Obama Touts His Record

In his excellent daily Web news summary, “The Transom,” Ben Domenech says that President Obama’s speech at the Portland Museum of Art on Saturday “is likely to be Obama’s campaign speech from here on out.” He’s probably correct, so let’s take a look, with an eye to whether it’s likely to work.

Obama’s template is nothing new. He first repeats his claim as to the catastrophic conditions he inherited from President Bush. “It’s hard to remember sometimes how perilous things were when I was sworn in.”

So Obama took immediate action “to save the auto industry, to get the banks lending again” and to make sure state and local governments didn’t lay off teachers and first responders. Indeed, he moved so fast that “people didn’t fully appreciate the scope and magnitude of what got done in those first six months, that first year.”

He acknowledged he destroyed millions of jobs and presided over the worst unemployment rates in modern times, which at their best are still more than 60 percent higher than the norm and much worse when you factor in people who have quit looking for work. I mean he said that he “created almost 4 million jobs” and that “we have seen the unemployment rate start ticking down.” Companies, he said, “are hiring and investing again.”

More

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'he destroyed millions of jobs'

I'm still confused how conservatives really try to make this claim when the economy had already moved halfway to shedding the near 8 million jobs lost during this recession when Obama came into office. I'm not saying the man is perfect or God's gift to governance. Just stating the obvious bs coming out of the right on this and similar issues. If your platform is strong, you don't have to make up bs.

Anonymous said...

I do have a Constitutional right to "stand my ground".

The 2nd amendment clearly states that I have a right to keep and BEAR arms, That means I'm carrying a loaded handgun in my belt.

You come to me and physically attack me to the point I am on the groung, you are clearly winning the fight, and I am in fear that your next step may be to grab my weapon and use it to kill me.

Just exactly how long should I wait hoping you don't make that decision? 5 minutes/ Until you've hammered my head into the pavement until I'm unconsious? THEN I can make that decision???

Please inform me so I know next time that happens to me, because right now, my time limit is set at one second after you get the upper hand.