Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, March 05, 2012

A Comment Worthy Of A Post 3-5-12

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Maryland Handgun Permit Law Found Unconstitutional...":

Joe, please elaborate on this one, before you have half of Salisbury's gun owners lock up for carrying firearms. I personally have a carry permit in MD, but Maryland is a "may issue" State meaning that you have to apply with reasonable justification to obtain a carry permit.

The federal court just declared the means and justifications to obtain a carry permit as unconstitutional, not the fact that a person must have a permit to carry a firearm. Under Maryland law, you must have a permit in order to carry a firearm. Folks can't just go out today packing heat because of this federal ruling. The federal courts are basically stating that Maryland can't deny citizens based on lack of a "good reason."

In addition, I am 100% "gun" ho (pun intended) for increased gun rights in Maryland; HOWEVER, I certainly do not mind going through the permitting process if it is reasonably executed and fair the LAW ABIDING citizens. If Maryland was an open carry State like say Virginia, then anybody could walk around with a firearm strapped to their hip. Sounds cool at the surface, but do you REALLY want some of this State's idiots (law abiding or not) to be packing heat just because they can? Think about the stupidest, most irresponsible yet law abiding person that you know... do you really want them to have a gun on them at any given time?? There has to be a process of permitting to know who is carrying and who is not carrying. Even if it is a short and easy permitting process, it will at least keep the firearms off the hips of those spontaneous "I want to carry a gun just because I can" people. Like I said, I can legally carry, but I don't 90% of the time.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joe!

Anonymous said...

iirc many md permits are restricted to what you apply for.

ex if you apply due to carrying large amounts of cash for work. you must be working or going to/from work in order to carry.

it would be nice if md had an easier unrestricted permitting process

Anonymous said...

I for one am NOT AN IDIOT and could make that determination based on what I read...

And to point out, even now in MD only COPS and EX COPS can get a conceal carry permit... The military or ex military can't even get one...

So unless the poster of this rebuttal got his permit in the 50's, or witnessed a murder by a mob guy, I'm sure he is blowing smoke, because it is near imposable to get a carry permit in MD period...

Anonymous said...

So 246pm {OP} Tell us how long youve had your permit and the reason they granted you one......

lmclain said...

An apologist for the police state. Does Maryland have more "idiots" than Virginia? I've lived in Virginia and Maryland (and several OTHER states, too). I don't think so. I can tell you that, in traffic, just look around. AT LEAST 2 or 3 people are carrying a handgun. So where is the "breakdown of civilization"? afeter all, criminals carry weapons anytime they like, while the police RESTRICT our right to do so, under the guise of "police are your best protection". What a joke. Just not to the ones who've been killed already by the aformentioned thugs. I'm well-armed ALL THE TIME and I urge everyone else to do the same. FTP.

Anonymous said...

Why should the "state" be allowed to circumvent the constitution?
"right to bear arms" is what it says. NOT, "right to bear arms if we allow you too".
We as non felons should carry if we want. PERIOD!
It certainly would make criminal's and rogue police think twice about assaulting and brutalizing anyone ever again.

Anonymous said...

3:55 unfortunately you comment makes too much sense. While I agree 100%, liberals believe it's the job of police to protect us. They are wrong. I say we should all just carry concealed. I do. I'm a law abiding citizen. I don't get in trouble. I don't start trouble or argue with people. If I get pulled over for a minor traffic violation I am polite. If someone asks to search I will tell them politely that as a matter of principle I am opposed to consenting to a search of my person or vehicle. I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Anonymous said...

I hope the original commenter understands that the Constitution is the law of the land--(and is being trampled on every day)

Second Amendment is the law

Thank God for the Constitution

Anonymous said...

Anon 3:30 PM:

I've had my permit for 5 years now. I was able to obtain a permit because I am a Ocean City business owner who makes large cash deposits for my business. Trust me, it is a much better feeling when you have over $10,000 of cash in one hand and a .45 ACP on your hip when you're going to the bank. I seldom ever carry a firearm with me outside those situations. Do you have a problem with that?