Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, December 15, 2011

SO YOU'RE A COP

So, you're a cop. What do you make?

Have you ever had someone come up to you and say this:

Oh you're a cop? That's cool. I wanted to do that when I was a kid. What do you make?

Written by some talented cop somewhere, here is an answer that I thought I would share.

WHAT DO I MAKE??

I make it possible to keep back the chaos every day.

I make 5 minutes seem like a lifetime when I am fighting a suspect while waiting for back up.

I make going to work for your family's safety a duty that I will die for.

I make myself work holidays, nights, during hurricanes, riots, terrorist attacks and other disasters...... a standard day while you complain about your 9-5 in your air conditioned office.

I make the fact that I may not get to eat, or get a break or cannot use the restroom when I need to, part of my job.

I make running towards the gunfire and bad guys, so that you remain safe, an automatic reaction.

I make getting shot at, stabbed, spit on, punched and kicked at work, an expected part of my day.

I make working for people, who most often dislike me, swear at me, and complain about everything I do or do not do.

I make working 12 hour shifts until 6 AM, my day at the office, so you and your family can sleep safely, a way of life.

Today I might make the ultimate sacrifice to save your life.

I make a difference, WHAT DO YOU MAKE?

During this Christmas season, I give thanks to all my fellow law enforcement officers regardless of their rank, title, department, or agency for the job you do, or have done in these ever increasingly difficult times

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Believe WE THE PEOPLE who greatly appreciate what you make sir.
With all due respect officer---what we DO NOT appreciate is those corrupt and criminal-minded officers who believe that they are above and beyond the law and treat WE THE PEOPLE as though we are criminal-minded people and arrest and imprison them for a long time for the same exact illegal things that YOU THE COPS do.
My and others' opinions, with all due respect which I honestly believe that you are deserving of.

Anonymous said...

Seems to me that 90% of cops' job is to hit the ordinary citizen with back door taxes and scoop you up after you've already met your demise.

Anonymous said...

I give thanks for my cop honey!!!

Anonymous said...

I also give thanks to the strong real men who protect us!!!

Anonymous said...

To Mr. 90% : that is because you are probably a sheep that just goes with the flow and all that you allow yourself to see and believe are the traffic stops that you have probably been a part of in your life time. As you are quick to spread hate, I am sure you will be one of the first ones to call 911 quivering as you plead to a call taker to please send one of those "revenue collectors" to your rescue in a time of need when you are frightened or have just been victimized. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!