Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Should I Let My 17 Year Old Go To Coed Sleepovers?

Dear Dr. G.,

I'm confused. My 17 year old daughter insists that all of her friends are allowed to go to coed sleepovers and frankly someparents do allow such sleepovers. I don't know if I'm being an old-fashioned fuddy-duddy by my position on this issue. I feel that nothing good can happen when you mix a group of teens who are probably up all night and have access to each other both emotionally and physically while the parents are probably asleep. And things probably don't get any better when you add alcohol to this mix. I'm not saying that my daughter and her friends are all a group of drunk and sex-crazed lunatics but why create opportunities that might encourage sex, drugs, and who knows what else? Please advise as I don't want my daughter to be mad at me but I also don't want to approve of something that feels very wrong to me.

A Mama Bear Trying to Protect her Cub

Read Answer Here

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you think? Didn't work out very well for Mama Bear Palin did it?

Anonymous said...

I get wanting to not be "That Mom" but remember what we did at that age? Yes... exactly...and the peer pressure today is horrible. You can teach your child the rights and wrongs, the do's and don'ts, but when it comes to boys, girls, drugs, being cool,..that is all that matters at this age. Go with your gut. she will forgive you and probably thank you later.

Anonymous said...

HELL, NO! my 17 year old step daughter went to sleep overs , lying saying she was staying with girlfriends...Well you guessed it shes a Mommy at barely 18..Heres your sign....College down the drain, Teens should not have sleep overs . If they are old enough to have sex....Just say NO!

Anonymous said...

Yes moma bear, let her go! there's a lot of programs out there to take care of any thing that goes wrong, like pregnancy or venereal decease, aids ect. and it won't cost you a dime, others pay for it. even if she gets hooked on drugs others will have to pay. isn't it nice?

Anonymous said...

5:43 PM

I wish somebody paid for an education for you.

Anonymous said...

The question is not weather to let her g to a sleep over, it's are you ready to be Grand Mama Bear

Anonymous said...

To all of you ignorant parents posting:

If your child wants to do something, they will find some way to do it.

Try educating them on rights and wrongs, then hope that they remember everything youve tried to tell them.