Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, October 14, 2011

Cartels Carve New Drug Routes In Central America

Corozal, Belize - I met Bobby on my last night in Belize, the night before this Central American nation celebrated its 30 th anniversary of independence.

I was standing outside a Chinese market, waiting for the town’s fireworks display to start. Most of Corozal’s 10,000 people, it seemed, were jammed into the civic center plaza across the street.

“Hey man, you OK? You look kinda scared or something.”

The question and comment came at me from a man sitting on a crate next to the entrance to the market, drinking a Heineken beer.

“Where you from, man?” he asked.

States, I told him. And, no, not scared, just taking in the scene. I’d been watching the Chinese family selling beers to young Belizean men through the market’s metal bars, wondering if there weren’t better opportunities in today’s booming China than in this sleepy waterfront town just south of Belize’s border with Mexico.

No comments: