Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Letter To The Editor 9-14-11

Joe,
 
I have a friend who has been fighting ovarian cancer for about 10 years.  She started Chemo again in July with the drug Doxil which is in short supply.  Treatment was supposed to be once monthly for a period of several months.  She had the one treatment and has been unable to receive more treatments because they can't get the drug.  They have not offered an alternative drug and she is panicking.
 
My friend is in her late 70's, past the age of 76 which I understand that in the Obamacare policy that anyone over the age of 76 will not get cancer treatment.  Is this policy already in effect without any of us knowing it, and if that isn't the case, why have they not offered an alternative treatment until Doxil becomes available for her?
 
I guess I am just trying to reach out to help her and perhaps anyone else in her shoes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a lie that no one over 76 will get cancer treatments under ObamaCare. There is a nationwide shortage of drugs because there are very few companies producing these drugs and because Medicare policies aren't paying enough for these drugs. How about you google "drug shortage" instead of dreaming up conspiracy theories?

Anonymous said...

5:03 you are diluted!

Anonymous said...

My friend called me back later today and the doctor's office has been back in touch with her and they are offering an alternative treatment. I just don't understand why this wasn't done sooner. It would have saved a lot of worry and concern as this is a life we are talking about!

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for your friend. I can understand her frustration. A very dear friend of mine has lung cancer that has returned. He actually had been taking a drug and it was gone. Unfortunately, after two years of remission it has returned. When he started trying this time he had to get approval through Medicare. It took them 8 long weeks to finally approve it. He is currently in treatment. He gets his lung scanned again next week and we are all praying that we get good news. I will be praying for your friend too.

lmclain said...

My wife had (and died from) ovarian cancer. Her chemo drugs were $15-20,000 per intravenous bag. And there aren't any companies willing to make a product that sells for that amount?? Riiiight. I'm calling straight up BS on THAT. Like AIDS drugs they sell to Americans for $15,000 a year, but sell them overseas for $10 a month. I got a bunch of money that says it the INSURANCE companies that are putting the brakes on some treatments, under the assumption that she ain't gonna make it. Why spend the money? NO insurance company gives one iota of care about her life, or anyones' life. Its about the money. And ONLY the money. M O N E Y. Money. Got that yet? I DO wish her the best. 10 years with ovarian cancer (that hasn't spread to the liver, kidneys, or intestines), is a wonderful achievement.

Anonymous said...

Imclain: She is very lucky it has not spread. Very lucky!Cancer can cost a bundle. I wish they would find a cure.