Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, June 23, 2011

HURT: No Ifs, Ands Or Butts: FDA Warning Photos Faked

For decades, the federal government has accused tobacco companies of running a campaign of relentless deception in order to sell cigarettes and convince customers that their product will make you sexy, skinny, cool or whatever.

On Tuesday, the government unveiled its latest salvo in its campaign against these companies.

Tobacco peddlers will soon be forced to emblazon every package of their product with graphic new warnings that show what the government says will happen to you if you smoke cigarettes.

One warning shows a cadaver lying on a steel table, chest zipped closed by giant staples. Another, a pair of nastily corroded lungs. In another image, an infant is confined to an incubator and hooked up to a breathing tube. In one startling image, a man is puffing on a cigarette with wisps of smoke escaping a tracheotomy hole in the center of his throat.

There is only one problem with the federal government’s great campaign of graphic images aimed at combating the deceit of tobacco companies and rescuing us from our stupid selves.

The images are fabricated.

More

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....I wonder if this is just some B.S.from the tobacco companies? To make people think hey that can't happen to be since the pics are fake.

Anonymous said...

what are you all taling about. Our lives are run by the media and press. Global Warming was a campaign stunt, gas crisi, everything we hear and see is all media induced.

People who live in country wiht no TV's are probably living better lives with no stress....

Raitings, Raitings, Raitings...

Anonymous said...

I don't know why the government thinks this is going to help force people to stop smoking.
I buy my cigarettes by the carton and I use a cigarette case. I'm not even going to have to look at these images, so what good did they do?
They claim they want people to quit. They sued the tobacco companies and made them put money into a fund to help people quit.
I took advantage of that fund a few years ago and took Chantix. It did help me quit (or take a break) for a little over a year. Certain circumstances in my life helped to contribute to me going back to smoking.
I tried to go back and do the Chantix again and I was told you can only get it free ONE time.
I paid for those programs, as a smoker. I should be able to try any of them as many times as I want to.
The government doesn't want us to quit! We pay too much in taxes that they would then lose. It's all a game to them!

ConservativeAtheist said...

This is a dangerous move to allow the government to do this. Point being... where does it stop? Putting pictures of overweight people having heart surgery on Big Mac Boxes?

Who doesn't know that cigarettes are bad for you? I find this to be a further extension of government control into our lives, and an inappropriate invasion into the free market.

Anonymous said...

How many thousands of jobs has the anti-smoking crowd cost America?

Anonymous said...

Please check the facts , to this day there is no absolute proof that smoking causes cancer , with the exception of bladder cancer.
That's a fact.
Having said that , the government supplied me and other GIs with cigaretts during my stay in Korea many years ago. Did I get cancer , yes. Each C-ration or K-ration had smokes in them. Thank you mr. government.

Unknown said...

"to this day there is no absolute proof that smoking causes cancer , with the exception of bladder cancer."

You just contradicted yourself. Anyway, it cause some far worse complications such has blood restriction, etc.

I am an ex smoker that kicked the addiction and habit problems with smoking after many years. I know it is possible for others. This new advertising though goes to the people who are already addicted. Why aren't they educating the kids before they get addicted?

Anonymous said...

I don't smoke, but if the government makes ciggarettes illegal then they need to make everything that can cause cancer illegal. Why stop with cigarettes? The government won't do that though because of how much money they make every time someone buys a pack or smokes