Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, March 03, 2011

State Highway

Dear Joe,
   
I own a small buisness on route 13.  And now repeatedly, when I attempt to open my store there has been some sort of "construction" on the highway in front of my buisness.  Today I could not even attempt to get into the one and only entrance to the 3 buisness in my building.  I drove over the curb, parked my truck and went down to converse with crew perdorming the work.  I asked them to please remove the cones that blocked my driveway and was told that I should call state highway because they set it up not the city of Salisbury.  I said no problem I'll contact the city police for obstructon.  Imediately his attitude changed and within minutes a crew of 8 highly trained men came to remove the 3 cones that blocked my driveway.  Why would he not just make the radio call himself?  Why was my driveway blocked at all?  I don't get how it takes 12 people to dig a hole on 13 with one shovel.

6 comments:

McGruff said...

You're right-- it's usually one person working and 3 people watching.
And they're all very well paid with superb benefits.
But they'll get on here and scream bloody murder if you say anything about how much better they have it than their private counterparts.
"Don't criticize us. We work hard."
This state went broke a good while ago, and they REFUSE to deal with it.
We must reduce our spending, and get lots more for what we do spend.
There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth (especially at the BOE), but the time has come-- there is no more money, and the party is over.

Anonymous said...

We had construction on a bridge around my area that was supposed to be completed in about a years time. This started atleast 3 years ago. Every once in a while on my way out of town I will catch a crew who has closed a lane and working on that same bridge. It is time these guys stopped getting a free pass and watching while a few people do all the work.

Anonymous said...

Ever wonder why this country is so far in debt. Take a look at our government and how they operate with our money. This is a prime example of why Government jobs need more than a trim they need DEEP cuts.

Anonymous said...

Let's start getting photos of all the immigrants working on these state jobs..
Look at the work being done at SU-- dozens of immigrants (how many of them are legal?)
I've even seen them working with State Highway crews.
Your tax dollars at work-- and on their way to Mehico.

groundrush said...

That is how the government lowers the unemployment rate. They hire three people that can do the same work as one. That would not happen in the private sector, such as where the rest of us work... one person wears many hats and does the work of three people, with crappy benefits.

Anonymous said...

We had this happen to our home driveway. Without notice, there was spray paint all over our yard. The next action was us trying to leave one morning and couldn't. They were fixing a storm drain, but dug up half our drive way and cut the wire to our dog fence. I guess if we hadn't gotten up in time to move our cars by drining across our lawn (without one person acknowledging us)we would have been trapped in our own driveway. And you are right...one person works while about ten others watch. Then apparently it's break time for a few hours then a different person works while everyone watches him. Also, did I mention that this went on for a month? I never believed the jokes about state highway, but I know it first hand now.