Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, March 03, 2011

A Letter To The Editor

I wish I knew of this outlet a few days ago so I could warn others about Muir Boda since he ran for office.  I tried to get my letter published by the Daily Times, but he must be friends with somebody, since they refuse to publish it.

I was a former employee at the Wal-Mart where Muir Boda is a manager.  Let me say that he is the most unprofessional manager I have ever worked under.  Now I know some will deride me for not being smart enough to work anywhere else, but when you lose your jobs due to the economy, you will do what it takes to put food in your kids mouths.

I was (until a few days ago) an employee at Walmart of seven months. The management played favorites, to the extent of reversing a prior decision (which is part of company policy) so that a worthless employee can keep his job. However, the worst came for me last week. It was my off day (one of the few my fiance and I have together) when I was called into work…over thirty miles away. There were some rumors going around the store that I would finally be promoted to management, so I went into work. I was asked to sign a statement saying that I clocked in late (by one minute). I thought it was odd, but no big deal. I was then cornered by management and was demanded to explain why certain breaks were an extra few minutes, why I stopped to talk to associates (because we’re friends?), and who “the man in the Ford Explorer” (my fiance) was. They accused me of hanging around the store (I have no car, which they knew, so I had to wait for my fiancee to get off so I could get a ride). While being raked over the coals, I realized that even though we are being robbed blind by shoplifters, this Wal-Mart is watching their employees like hawks. They do not want us to be late at all, not make friends, and not even talk to other associates. After being reamed for half an hour, I was fired, and as an extra kick in the balls, I was placed on the “do not rehire” list, which has now officially screwed up my resume. And the wonderful people at Walmart pulled me in on my day off just so I wouldn’t be fired on company time. Joke is on them, though. I clocked in before I went in for my reaming and never clocked out.
What a bunch of jerks.

You can use my name if you want.  I'm going to go public with this!

Eleanor Green

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about losing your job in this economy. Unfortunately there are always two sides to a story so I will refrain from passing judgement at this point.

Anonymous said...

If you were late to work and took extra long breaks even by minutes, I would fire you too. Good for Walmart. Sounds like they are running a tight ship.

Anonymous said...

Have not been in Walmart since their security (Boda?) declined to help a customer being slammed with a cart. (Maybe they could have helped if their cart was being damaged) We live just fine without Walmart. Shop at friendly Boscov's.

Anonymous said...

I would write-up my people if they were 1 minute late also.However , I don't think it would be just cause for firing.

I have noticed while shopping in Walmart , many employees are complaining about things at the work place. They do this in front of customers , don't they realize how lucky they are to be employed?

Walk around Walmart and I'll bet if you listen to a couple standing around , they are bitching about something , rather than working.

Anonymous said...

Big bad management whine. The rules don't apply to me.

dan said...

Rule Number One: When writing a letter venting about how wronged you are, wait a day or so, breathe deeply a few times, then write it. Rule Number Two? Throw out that version and write a new one.

Ms. Green - Am I surprised by stories that WalMart does not employ capeable management teams in some stores, and that the judgement of these teams is suspect? No. However, you worked there long enough to know what was expected of you in your job, and they are under every right possible to hire and fire whomever they want for whatever reason they like.

Forget your resume. Posting your frustrations in a public forum like this will do more to damage your employment future.

Sorry, but that's life.

Anonymous said...

Don't look for advice from these folks. Most couldn't pour piss out of a boot with directions on the heel.