Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, March 11, 2011

Light Bulbs, Abortion Make For Odd Senate Hearing

'Pro-choice' comes up as Republicans attack energy efficiency standards

The humble light bulb became a lightning rod for philosophical differences in the Senate on Thursday — a debate so vitriolic that while the focus was supposed to be on more efficient bulbs the talk went as far off-topic as abortion.

"You favor a woman's right to abortion but not a woman or man's right to a light bulb," Sen. Rand Paul, R-N.Y., told an Obama administration official from the Energy Department testifying about the savings to consumers and the environment of energy standards.

"You're really anti-choice," he added, saying he supported a bill to repeal those standards.

"I find it insulting," Paul said, calling federal officials "busybodies" trying to tell Americans what to do.

8 comments:

Drew said...

It really is scary how this guy's brain works.

Anonymous said...

Keep pointing out those hypocrites, Rand! They want us to keep it green, but at what cost?

dan said...

We get the leaders we deserve.

EdenMan said...

I'm a tree hugging, energy nut. Inefficient appliances cost you and I every month.Sen. Rand Paul would like to put a coal burning generator in your backyard, rather than cut back on our historic waste.

Anonymous said...

Abortion...I am for keeping congressman and people like them out of my uterus, but these damn lightbulbs! I don't mind buying them, I will even tolerate the warming up period, BUT I would love to know how Wicomico County disposes of them? I take my dead ones to Lowes, only because the county has no place to dispose of them...I have called to find out where when we first moved here and I was told by a man at the landfill ( oh and i did jot down his name), just throw them in the trash mam', that is what we do. If we are implement new technology then we should educate the mass on how to dispose of them.

EdenMan said...

Hey...6:33....I totally agree, we need to know how to dispose of these products upon end of life. Done properly , we all win.

solar motion light said...

It is nice to hear that government is doing steps for these problems. It is their obligations to act as the one who made answers for the country's problems. Many are looking forward for the resolution of this problem.

Sherika said...

Correct me if I am wrong but don't these new lightbulbs contain mercury??? I think I like the old ones better. What happens if you break one of the new ones?? Do you need Haz-Mat?? If a doctors office wall blood pressure breaks they have to call 911!! Why? because of the mercury. How will they dispose of all these new lightbulbs??