Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, March 11, 2011

Andy Harris Votes to EXPAND ObamaCare

I know, I know … you never thought that you would read something written by me AND that was critical of freshman Rep. Andy Harris (R-MD).  I’m a little surprised myself.  However, I never would have thought that Harris would have voted for a measure that actually expanded ObamaCare.  Unfortunately, he did.

As noted in Red State, Harris was one of 95 GOP congressmen to support HR 525.  This bill amended a program under ObamaCare to include veterinary professionals in a student loan repayment program.

The bill itself is not of major concern.  It’s actually good for the Eastern Shore and the poultry industry.  The problem is that the affected program is part of ObamaCare.

It has been a not-so-well-kept secret that part of the left’s strategy for ObamaCare has been to allow portions of the electorate to begin receiving benefit from the bill and voila! we have a new entitlement that is extremely difficult to alter without the risk of electoral consequences.  This is precisely why conservatives have been adamant that a piecemeal approach cannot be taken to this measure.  It must be repealed.  If it can’t be repealed, if must be de-funded.  The last thing we can do is EXPAND programs within the bill.

According to Congressman Harris’ press secretary Ryan Nawrocki, Harris was torn on this vote.  However, poultry producers and the Maryland Farm Bureau were firmly behind the measure:

Congressman Harris has voted for full repeal.  He has supported repeal of the onerous 1099 provisions within ObamaCare.  But in the end, this bill is good for the Eastern Shore and the District.  It means jobs and the Congressman felt that he needed to look at the entire picture.

Andy is wrong on this one!  To date Harris has done a great job.  He helped lead the revolt for greater cuts in the budget and should be commended.  He voted to keep the GOP’s pledge of cutting $100 billion from the current budget (or lack thereof).  That doesn’t excuse voting to expand a program that is part of ObamaCare.

I understand that jobs are important.  Unfortunately, we can’t create enough jobs to keep America from going broke IF we allow ObamaCare to move forward.  Even without ObamaCare, we must have meaningful entitlement reform if we are to ever get our debt back down to a manageable level.

Conservatives should view this vote as a “mulligan”.  We should give it to Andy; BUT we should also let him know that we expect the man we elected to represent us.  That doesn’t mean making “easy” votes that have dangerous long term consequences.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's done !

Drew said...

Where is my insurance Harris? He is in there to look after his own.

Anonymous said...

I belong to neither party, I'm a registered Independent. I agree with Harris' vote...we voted him into office to look out for the Shore and he voted correctly.

Joseph Albero said...

No "mulligan" to me GA. While I understand your position, good cop, bad cop, Andy folded under pressure on this one, as did many other republicans.

When I support a candidate, I expect them to tow the line and deliver what they promissed. Perhaps Andy knows the redistricting on the Eastern Shore could very likely make him a one term Congressman and he's looking for the support from democrats, at our expense as well as our lack of confidence in him from this point forward.

The reason America is falling apart is because our politicians seem to say anything to get elected and then sway from their alleged platforms.

I saw this first hand once efore with Andy Harris on the sex offender laws. When the Senate was going to vote against the 20 year sentence being reduced to 15 years, (previously 5 years and adding an additional 10 years) they were afraid it would look like they were gifting sex offenders 5 years during an ELECTION year. I personally asked Andy, are you running for Office because you want to represent the citizens or are you running for office to get re-elected. The bill almost failed and ALL of the credit has to go to Givernor O'Malley for adding it to the Governors Bill at the 11th hour.

Nevertheless, Salisbury News will be keeping a VERY close eye on every single bill Harris votes on from this point forward.

lmclain said...

4:51...I have to disagree...the problem I have is two-fold. Firstly, Harris was the golden boy and now, just like every other elected official, he SAID one thing trying to get elected, and once elected, well, he's voting for a bill that he trashed while RUNNING for office...it won't be the last time, either. Secondly, some of our biggest problems come from the "but it's good for OUR region" attitude. You can't criticize leaders for pork barrel crap (its GOOD for THEIR region")and then turn around and cheer for the same attitude exhibited by OUR slimy officials. Start thinking about what's good for ALL of us, the country as a whole....our NATION. Did this site just post an article critical of Baltimore politicians passing a bill that was good for THEIR city, but hurtful to the rest of the state?

Anonymous said...

Hey,Imclain...I'm 4:51.Mark this date/time...I, for once agree with you. You all of a sudden sound like me. I wasn't aware MD was re-districting...thanks for the update.

Anonymous said...

Andy Harris will not be getting my vote in 2012!!

I know he reads this blog and so does his buddy Mark McGuyver.

If you read this before Andy does you can run back and tell him Mark.

Anonymous said...

Americans want politicians to vote for the "right" things. I don't know whether or not this is good for eastern shore, I don't see how, but it doesn't matter. He should vote for and against issues he ran on. Flip flopping on such a huge issue is immoral. I don't care who this benefits or if it does save some money..govt controlled healthcare is wrong and not good, for so many reasons, for our country. I voted for Harris and he won't get my vote next election. What a bum.

Anonymous said...

How did this dodo make it thru med school?

And now another big mistake -- just like hiring McIver.

Anonymous said...

Why do I think Andy Harris looks like another congressman that held the same seat? Does anyone else think Andy reminds them of Bob Bauman?

Anonymous said...

Andy is one of only a few that are with Michelle Bachman. He is working to defund Obamacare completely. While the GOP Leader is trying to let it be implemented for fear of being blamed for the Shutdown that will be required for any change of defunding Obamacare.

This bill does not sound like a great deal to me. Seems all money that is given to students really just makes Universities richer. Thus a complete waste of taxpayer dollars.

Thing is Andy is far better than most. A world better than Kratoville.

I spoke to his office today and will vote for him in 12.

I consider myself a Tea Party Republican. I will not think twice about voting against RINO's. I pray we can retake the Republican Party. For now 70% of Republicans are RINOs Andy is not.

Joseph Albero said...

anonymous 7:56, Look, why don't you tell us what your position is as an employee of Harris? Damage control at its best. You should have stopped at Kratovil.

Anonymous said...

Joseph Albero said...

anonymous 7:56, Look, why don't you tell us what your position is as an employee of Harris? Damage control at its best. You should have stopped at Kratovil.

8:00 PM

Exactly Joe...some people think everyone is dumb.

Anonymous said...

Great reply Joe. Spot on.

Anonymous said...

Laughing like crazy.

Hardly. I called his office thinking he would not go along with Bauchman. He did. More so than I ever expected.

Don't believe me fine call yourself.

202-225-5311.

I seriously doubt you will find that many others willing to stand up with Michelle. Well hopefully I am wrong on that. Not enough yet though that is for sure. Otherwise the Government would be shut down now like it should be.

Facts are what is important. Yes I voted against him in the primary but unlike others he is more Tea Party now. This bodes well for our country.

Guarantee that had I been working for Andy he would fire me for this post.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Bob Bauman he was arrested for getting caught with a 16-Year-Old Male Prostitute. Is the former congressman a registered sex offender in Maryland?

Anonymous said...

Andy Harris votes to give more of his kind (doctors) a hand-out in the form of Obamacare!

HAHAHAHA!

Joke is on you if you voted for him!
Did you not read his campaign finance reports? Half of his campaign funds came from other Doctors, mostly anesthesiologists like himself. He did vote to protect those who fund him! Unfortunately they dont live in the first district.
Get informed people, I mean, sheeple. Yep, you 6:01- how can you not know about redistricting? Hello, Census every 10 years, so you shift the districts to keep each districts population numbers about the same. You probably voted for Harris!
Oh and to also inform you folks of another little tidbit. Andy voted to allow federal funds to be used to sponsor NASCAR. Another Brilliant Vote from our Congressman. I am so ashamed he is my congressman.