Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, November 04, 2010

Store Credit Cards Are An Even Worse Deal Than You Thought

Next time a checkout clerk offers you an "opportunity" to sign up for a store credit card so that you can get an instant 10% discount on that pack of gum or box of tissues you're buying, remember this: the price you'll pay for that deal is an interest rate as high as 25%. And, yeah, you're telling yourself that's no big deal, since you'll pay it off every month. But will you? And are you prepared for the other gotchas tied up in a bright ribbon by your friendly retailer?

More »

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The interest rate will make no difference if you pay the card off each month. I do that with all my cards and get free stuff through for exampl my Delta sky miles AMEX. With this card I dont pay checked bag fees on flights with Delta, get free flights with my miles.

Orsonwells said...

My Home Depot/ Chase card was 29% around 2005. I dropped it like a hot potato!