Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sheriff Joe Arpaio: I'll Enforce Arizona's Immigration Law

Sheriff Joe Arpaio, the controversial top cop in Maricopa County, Ariz., tells Newsmax he will jail any protesters who attempt to block his jail on Thursday when provisions of his state’s tough new immigration law take effect.

Arpaio also says it’s “great” if undocumented aliens react to the new law and his strict anti-illegal immigration agenda by moving back to Mexico or to the “sanctuary state” of California, and challenges President Barack Obama to invite him to the White House for a “wine summit” to discuss illegal immigration.

Arpaio, whose county includes most of the Phoenix metropolitan area, promotes himself as “America’s toughest sheriff.” He has limited county inmates to two meals a day, banned “sexually explicit material” in prison, reinstituted chain gangs, and set up a “tent city” as an extension of the Maricopa County Jail.

On Wednesday a judge blocked the most controversial sections of Arizona's new law and put them on hold. The law will still take effect on Thursday, but without some of the provisions that angered opponents — including sections that required officers to check a person's immigration status while enforcing other laws.

Nevertheless there are reports that opponents of the new law plan to block Arpaio’s jail on Thursday in an act of civil disobedience.

“There’s a rumor that they’re going to block our jails down the street,” Arpaio says in an exclusive Newsmax interview.

“You know what? They’re not going to block our jails. They’re going into the jail if they block our jail. I’m not going to succumb to these demonstrators keeping law enforcement from booking people in our jail. So we may have to take some action.”

Arpaio also vows to conduct a “crime suppression operation” on Thursday.

“This morning we raided another business and arrested five more illegal aliens with false identification. On Thursday we’re going to do our 17th crime suppression operation and go out with our volunteer posse and deputy sheriffs and catch criminals. We’ve done 16. Just by chance about two-thirds [of those arrested] happen to be here illegally.

“People say, why are you doing it on the day that the law may be put in effect? Well, should I wait? We’ve been enforcing the other state immigration laws and we’re still the only ones doing it. We’re going to continue doing our job.”

More of this great article here >>

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

True American hero !

Anonymous said...

Good for him and shame on that federal judge! I'm so sick of these ILLEGALS stealing from us CITIZENS!!
More people need to follow his lead, not just with the illegals but with all the criminals.
Crime DOES pay nowadays in most places - 3 square meals a day, television, outside contact, etc.
I was just saying to someone the other day that the chain gangs need to be reimplemented all over AND that Death Row needs to mean something besides just being "life" in prison.
You have to DETER crime but anymore, this country has become reactive instead of proactive.
I LOVE his tent city idea too! Make jail/prison HARD so the criminals who do get out never want to go back!

Anonymous said...

I think it's time I move to AZ. I wish more states would move in this direction!

Anonymous said...

Hey 10:34...see ya later. Hope you enjoy your new fascist friends and neighbors.

Anonymous said...

Hey 12:18, I was wondering if you could help me out. My family is barely making ends meet. We're afraid of losing our home. My children don't have insurance so health care is a problem for us. I am struggling to pay my car insurance so I'm afraid that if I hit someone I can't fulfill my responsibilities as a law abiding, legal citizen of the United States. What I was wondering is if you would be willing to pay my share of my taxes that are going straight to these illegal aliens, people who are receiving fee health care, free schooling. People who don't have car insurance much less a driver's license. I just can't afford to pay for these luxuries for these people who have come to my country illegally, because I can hardly pay for my own family. What do you think? Can you help me out?

Anonymous said...

get rid of the illegals and put the prisoners in farmers fields picking tomatoes and such..help the farmers by eliminating the wage they pay illegals