Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Wrinkles Scary Enough To Turn Bronzed Babes Pale As Ghosts


You'd think that surgery, scars, chemotherapy or even death might be enough to scare young women away from those ever-popular tanning booths, but new research says not so much.


Cancer's a bummer, for sure. But wrinkles? Those puppies are truly terrifying.


"They're not worried about skin cancer, but they are worried about getting wrinkled and being unattractive," says Dr. June Robinson, a dermatology professor at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and senior author of a new paper published today in Archives of Dermatology.


According to the National Center Institute, melanoma rates among 15 to 39-year old Caucasian women rose 50 percent between 1980 and 2004, enough to prompt the World Health Organization to bump indoor tanning beds to its highest cancer risk category -- up there with arsenic and mustard gas.


GO HERE to read more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I prefer my skin to be snow white and soft as a baby's bottom to the allegator look.

Anonymous said...

If you take care of your skin and dont burn when youn then all those risks and wrinkles are reduced to nothing. The problem lies with people burning. Too many people think that burning is needed to tan. THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!! That is not how tanning works, burning is bad. If you chose to tan then tan with a business that has been certified by Smart Tan. Our bodies need some exposure to sunlight or UV rays to stay healthy. There would be no life if it wasn't for the sun. Indoor tanning is smarter than outdoor tanning.

Tina
Manager
All About Tan

Anonymous said...

I've used tanning beds over the years to get my base tan so that I don't burn if I happen to be outside all day during the summer.
I always take a day break between sessions in the tanning bed. I would usually go 3x a week. But from what I have seen, most people don't. A lot of people seem to get in them almost every day. I believe those are the people who are really taking a risk.
I feel salons should not allow people to go into their tanning beds on back to back days. I think just making that one change would help but you won't get them to do it because they are afraid to lose a customer.
It's in the customer's best interest to tan as safely as possible.

Anonymous said...

Here's to enjoying life outdoors and tanning naturally...I always will want to look my age, and earning my wrinkles is a part of that. If skin cancer doesn't get me, something else will...anyway, I have no interest in paying someone to tan when the sun is free. Nor am I so terrified of wrinkles that I would eschew the sun completely, emerging, vampire-like, only at Halloween.