Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, March 04, 2010

Help?


Hi Joe,

Since you have so many loyal readers that visit SBYNEWS on a daily basis I was thinking you might be able to help me out here and post this question on your Blog. I have a waterfowl print signed in pencil by Lemuel Ward dated 1972. The signature is in the normal spot at the lower right. The thing that has me stymied is the fact that in the lower left the intitals A.P. (also in pencil) appear and I don't know the significance of these initials. I am also trying to determine an estimated value of the piece for insurance purposes. I tried contacting the curator of the Ward Museum but have not heard anything. It's not the best but I have attached an image to this email. Thanks for all you do, Joe.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A.P. stands for "Artist Proof" meaning the artist inspected your actual print and approved prior to printing/production of the full batch. I have no idea as to the value, but keep in mind it is a print and not the original. Keep trying the Ward Museum, if they do not know, they may be able to point you to someone who does.

Anonymous said...

Without seeing the artwork, A.P. or A/P usually stands for Artist Proof. These were prints outside the numbered prints that the artist could sell or give to those he wanted. In many cases these were remarqued by the artist, to personalize them even more.

Anonymous said...

Artist Proof's are generally worth more due to the fact that they were visually inspected prior to the actual numbered run.

Anonymous said...

Go to gift shop at Ward-they sell them.

Anonymous said...

Try Guyette & Schmidt, major decoy auctioneers in St. Michael's. They can appraise this for you.