Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, December 07, 2009

Pearl Harbor Memories Still Vivid For Some


Survivor of 1941 surprise attack to return to scene for 68th anniversary

PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii - Ed Johann will always remember the sound of planes diving out of the sky to bomb U.S. battleships, the explosions and the screams of sailors. He still recalls the stench of burning oil and flesh.

The 86-year-old retired firefighter is due to return to Pearl Harbor Monday for the first time since World War II to attend a ceremony marking the 68th anniversary of the Japanese attack.

"I really don't know how I'm going to handle it," said Johann, from his home in Oregon. "When I think about it, all I have is unpleasantness. I'm sure it's not like that now."

GO HERE to read more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish my grandfather was able to go to this..he's not in the greatest shape mentally or physically...I hear him talk about pearl harbor all the time..to hear him talk it sounds like it was yesterday..I really wish he would write a book so we can go back and read it all over again and have a true sense of history.

Nikki

Anonymous said...

I had the pleasure of attending the Christmas drama at Emmanuel Wesleyan this weekend. I wasn't alive in WWII times- but I had two grandfathers and an uncle who served. The pageant was set at WWII times and touched on Pearl Harbor, as well as showing an excerpt of the Presiden't speech. It had a visceral impact on me for some reason- maybe because the world then seemed so innocent as compared to now- when families gathered around a radio to listen to news, and when we honored the sacrifices of our military families.

To all the service men and women of yesterday, today, and the future, I thank you and your families for your awesome sacrifice. I know I can't come close to understanding what it all means, but I am truly in awe of you and I appreciate you.

We shouldn't even be considering health care reform until we've reformed the VA system. It's a disgrace that soldiers returning from the war have to fight for the litte that is due them.

Anonymous said...

Posted at 9 am, and now 7 pm. No comments, pretty sad. 68 years ago Dad was in HS on Oahu, and Grandad was on a sub tender, too small for the Japs to bomb. Dad and Grammy on a ship to SD, CA pretty soon after that. I have been on a tour boat over the Arizona, with the oil still bubbling up after all these years. Hell yes I had a lump in my throat. America, please never forget the sacrifices these men made to keep us free.