Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Verizon Takes Away Divorced Man's Unlimited Broadband Plan


They say that for people going through a divorce it can feel like you're losing half of yourself. As if it that wasn't bad enough, Verizon Wireless has taken away William's unlimited broadband plan on the account he used to share with his wife.

William writes:

I have actually been pretty happy Verizon Wireless until very recently.

I have one regular cell phone line with Verizon, and one of those nice little usb broadband modems. I have had both since about 2004. The great thing was that I had the unlimited broadband plan on my modem. They do not offer it anymore so I was proud of being able to keep my unlimited broadband plan.

Earlier this year, my wife and I got divorced. Among the thousands of matters to attend to, was to split our Verizon account into his and hers. I called up Verizon and explained that I needed to remove her from the account and have the account only in my name.

The rep said this was no problem, and it was quick to do. I asked him specifically to ensure there was no changes to account, and if the broadband account would remain the same. He ensured me that this would be the case, and even commented on how cool it was that I had the Unlimited plan. He told me I needed to make sure I kept it. Wise words.

I kept getting bills in the expected amount so I did not verify further at that point. This month I did read my bill, and I notice that my broadband plan has changed from Unlimited as expected to their new 5GB plan. This was clearly an error so I call up VZW to have them correct the error. I spoke at that time to rep number. 322590. She assured me that she would put in a request to have my account updated back to the grandfathered plan and I would get a call back the next day.

3 days passed and I received no notification so I called VZW back. This time I spoke to rep 319729, who was a supervisor she said.

She looked at my account, and said that VZW had refused to put the unlimited plan back on my account, and there was nothing they could do. I requested that because they had failed to provide me with what I was contractually entitled to, that they should release me from the termination charges on the account and allow me to close the account.

Rep 319729 said that it was impossible for VZW to give me the plan and I wanted, and it was impossible for Verizon to release me from my early termination. Now they are charging me $59.99 per/month for a service I did not sign up for, and do not want.

Rep 319729 said that there was a website that listed the terms and conditions that apply when VZW makes a change to the account, and it was my duty to read this mythical piece to understand what they were allowed to do, when they make changes to the account. Rep 319729 did not say what the Url for this document was.

What can I do? They took advantage of me, in a very trying time in my life, and they refuse to fix it, and they even rub my face in it, with this mythical website I am supposed to have read before calling to change my account.

Source

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

verizon is like being mayor of salisbury. doesnt work for the people and lies and missleading. your next screen saver just might be a fireboat.

Anonymous said...

you can do plenty, file a complaint with the fcc. I went through similar problems a while back with another carrier. seem's the only way to get their attention is to hit them in the face with a 2x4. Keep track of all communications for you complaint!

Anonymous said...

I had verizon for atleast a min of 5 years. I had a problem with my bill when we upgraded. It took almost 4 months to sort out and lots of my time. Everytime you talked to someone you would get a different story, or the person I spoke with earlier did not put the correct notes in. I'm acutally no longer with Verizon & switched to AT&T and have the Iphone. So far so Good! everyone has been great to talk to, so helpful!

Anonymous said...

I still bet it is worth the aggravation to have the divorce behind you.

Anonymous said...

The best thing you can do is get on with your life.
Your marriage status isn't the only thing that changes when you get a divorce. Everything changes.
Whining won't change anything.

Anonymous said...

I had a similar problem with ATT, I switched my home plan to included unlimited local and long distance $39 a month, only the package was not as they stated so I was being charged nearly $150 a month for phone service I very seldom use! Tried numerous times to straighten it out, eventually I told them to stick their plan I was switching to Verizon, haven't had any problems with Verizon...yet!

Anonymous said...

My son is a marine and is stationed overseas. his personal cell phone plan was put on "hold" part of thier aggreement with people in the sevice.
About a yr into his deployment the calls began it seems the person at Verizon didn't enter it into thier sys correctly and they were trying to charge him for the entire 2 yr contract and this went into collection.
I was not listed on his plan they would not listen to me!
He ended up calling Verizon one nite (12hr differnce) Verizon apolligized for thier mistake and credited back his account... But this person failed to notify the collection Co trying to contact him at home.
I have explained to them countless times that he has a vontage phone with a local number (quite cool deal) but they would have to call him at early morning hours or they should contact verizon.. ha ha they still call with no attempt to call verizon or him what a joke

Anonymous said...

Alot of people are leaving verizon because of their nonsense. I for one left because of their actions after having a contract with them for 10 years. Take your business to another carrier.

Anonymous said...

Verizon is a dang joke.Bunch of jerks who say they are going to look into your case and come back with lame excuses. We live only about 2 miles from a tower with a Verizon antenna on it and our cell phone coverage here sucks! Verizon will not even try to do anything about it and They keep telling us they are looking into it BULLSH!T. Thing is we live in a time when communications are critical and have no choice but keep them as a provider.They also keep trying to sell us vios and every time we inquire about it they tell us it is not available in our area.Back when we had analog phone we had service everywhere but then they forced us to go digital and now we have no service in our neighborhood at all! Keep a close eye on them they will screw you any chance they get.

Anonymous said...

10:01, i could not have said it better myself. Unfortunately, from a very recent experience with the mayor.