Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Scam II

Off point but have a sad sob story. These people going around giving sad stories about they need gas money or needed money to get a fan belt, well I have one. It just happened at 11pm last night. I walked out of the Seaford Wal-Mart and got in my car when a white male came up to my window. He asked if I could help him. I said sure. He said he needed gas money. I asked him "what are you doing in the parking lot and at 11pm?" He said he was at a friend’s house and lives in Harrington but ran out of gas on the way back home. I asked him “why are you in the parking lot, can’t your friend give you money?” He said “look, I need a few dollars to get home if you can’t help me then just leave.” He told me to leave! I watched him walk to his car and get in. I pulled around behind his car and wrote down the description and tag number down and called the Seaford PD. While on the phone, he began to drive away quickly. I started to follow him. He turned south bond on RT 13 instead of north towards Harrington where he claimed he lived. He stayed in the left lane until he was approx 50 feet from the stop light where Tru Blu gas station is and he made a quick right turn to go in the parking lot. I turned around and saw him get out of the car and began to walk in circles with his arms up to the sky as if he was praying. I told the dispatcher this and said you guys are going to have fun with this character. At that time, Seaford PD arrived and I left. I have seen this man before walking around the parking lot but it was at Roses and I’m sure he has been doing this for a while. He is approx 6 foot tall, scruffy short beard, approx 40 to 45 years old. He weighed about 200 to 220 pounds. He drove a silver 4 door older Chevrolet Caprice with DE reg 93300. Watch for this guy. I would have taken a pic of him but it was too dark.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This past Sunday, we saw two in one day. One was at BJ's in Millsboro, one was at Walmart in Salisbury. Both of them going thru the parking lot asking people for money and said they had run out of gas.

Anonymous said...

I was coming out of Super Fresh. I saw a guy leaning against a car, When I got into my car, he came up to my window asking for money for gas. WTH are these people doing? Its like a ban wagon and all the low lifes are jumping on. Is that illegal for them to do that? Its harassing. Instead of begging customers in the parking lot, GO inside the business and get an application for employment!

Anonymous said...

I was approached a few months ago in Seaford Roses by a smaller guy than you described. His story was that his truck broke down north of Roses but luckily he had a bike in the back so he could ride around & try to get enough money for gas & bridge tolls to get back to VA. I knew it was a hoax when he said he was lucky to have the bike with him...lol. Do people really think we are that gullible?

Anonymous said...

This whole story sounds crazy and scary and dangerous!..First of all I wouldnt be out at a walmart or anywhere else at 11 o'clock at night let known roll my window down to talk to anybody about anything.I dont care what he wanted.He asks you for money and because you questioned

him about why he was in the parking lot at 11 oclock and can't he get his friend to give him money and he gets indignant with you and tells you to leave..Then you watch him walk to his car and you pull behind his car to write down his tag number.. what if he had a gun? he drives away quickly..which right there he was in the parking lot and up to no good and he lied

about needing gas. So now you have this info and you call police.By now Im thinking ok you called the police and your job as a concerned citizen is over the

police can handle it from there...BUT YOU FOLLOW HIM!!!WHAT IN THE WORLD!!! ARE YOU CRAZY!!! I would not suggest anyone do what you did...God really does look out for babies and fools..

Anonymous said...

Simple Panhandling. Their methods have gotten creepy though the way they let you get in the car and get so close to you. we need to start kicking their A$$es and maybe they will stop. Mace the jerks.

Anonymous said...

There were two guys at the Walmart North coming up to peoples cars in the parking lot wanting to talk about some organization (NCAA ?) which sounded like they were trying to get money out of people. Where are the security folks at Walmart (it was dark and scary to have them walk right up to me).....