Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Yes We Are

(TRENTON, NJ – Feb. 20) This week, Attorney General Eric Holder said “Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial, we have always been and we -- I believe continue to be in too many ways essentially a nation of cowards.” Well, allow me to take the rare opportunity to agree with Mr. Holder. Sorry folks, yes we are.

When people are uneasy about a black person making jokes about black people in general (and it’s the tamest of jokes,) we have a problem. If ethnicity is brought up in conversation and someone tries to diffuse it by saying, “I do not see Black and White, I see American,” that’s a problem. When people are afraid of disagreeing with someone because of their color…for example, when some Whites disagreed with Obama and it had everything to with his policies is not his race. They were afraid to speak out because they would have been labeled a racist. In my case, I would have been labeled a sellout. That is a BIG problem.

When people say, “Why do we need to talk about having a dialogue on race, we always have this whenever something racial happens?” Complaining about talking about race is a problem, and here is why we need to have the dialogue. For starters, the people who don’t want to talk about it anymore would like to avoid the issue, either because the wrong people have been using race for their own personal gain OR because they are afraid to be labeled as a racist (as stated in the example in the last paragraph.)

There also has not been an honest dialogue about it in my opinion. America needs to acknowledge that its past has been super ugly, and I don’t mean mention it casually and brush it aside as if all is right with the world. The truth is that America has a long way to go to achieving racial harmony. This has been proven recently where The New York Post can draw a cartoon in poor taste. While it is the New York Post’s right to publish the cartoon, it is equally everyone’s right to be offended by it. In addition to that, both sides of the aisle have been guilty at times with using the resentment of Blacks and Whites for political gain.

Let’s go back to the recent election, where many people in general were afraid to show dissent against then-Presidential candidate Obama. If Whites dissented, they would have been viewed as a racist. If blacks (like me) did not agree with President Obama, we get called with sellouts or self-haters. I was recently told to finish my Clorox bath when I reminded the unapologetically Black community that President Obama was running things, not us.

Everything is not a racial incident. When we are afraid to disagree with policy because of racial concerns, then we are indeed wimps about the subject. America has some pondering to do, before we accuse Holder of trying to stir the pot.

P. Kenneth Burns is a broadcaster and the editor of Maryland Politics Today. His email is kenny@kennyburns.com.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that this was posted. A lot of folks truly believe that our racial issues went out the door when Obama came to office. This is not the case at all, in fact, I think it actually got worse. In my own opinion, I feel that racism and discrimination was turn around and aimed more towards the white man.

A little background about me-I'm 26, white, I grew up in a 50-50 racially mixed middle class community, and throughout k-12 public schools and college I have always been in a very racially diverse aptmoshere. I have seen racism all over; however, I am confident that I can go before the pearly gates, state that my soul has no hate for another and get granted some VIP access. I am also a Democrat and I did vote for Obama.

Here's what is driving me insane in our society today...I've been getting judge and oppress more and more everyday-I've recently been getting called the "spoiled honky", the "Cracker" and even a "Nazi" and that "Obama is going to give me what I deserve". I have been told that I've "held down the black man long enough and now it is time for a change". I've been harassed, cursed, even assaulted and all because I happen to be white. I am "Having down to [me] what [my] ancestors have done to [them]". Now, granted, there are some extreme white supremacists out that they black folks should certain have beef with, but I have never done anything to deserve this treatment. My ancestors may have done some wrong things, but I am Me and not them. Please, let it go!

We have the White Men Can't Jump movie and Black History Month, but If we had a Black Men Can't Play Hockey or a White History Month then there would be some serious problem among the Black community of America. Racism goes both ways and society caters to it, the government caters to it, the economy caters to it!

Racism will never go away and if you don't see it now, you are truly blind...

Anonymous said...

The WORST thing you can be in America today is a racist.

Don't believe me? Just ask Randy Weaver.

Mardela said...

The Bible teaches us to leaves the deeds of yesterday behind and start each day anew. As soon as each of us decides to do this, then we as a nation will do this. Most of us have ancestors who came to this great country with some type of tremendous hardships. But the fact of the matter is, we are all glad to be here now.

We are all brothers and sisters brought together for the greater good of all. Each of us is different in so many ways from the person standing next to us, it doesn't matter if you are a different race or the same.

In the name of our Lord, we need to change Today, how we treat our neighbors. Love, hope, grace, joy, are the kinds of ingredients we should share with others. For if we do, there is no room for any of the ideals or people that try to keep us seperated in stife instead of together in harmony.

Anonymous said...

Randy Weaver was naughtier than just being a racist. Those shotguns didn't saw themselves off.

Anonymous said...

If Mr.Holder feels whites are cowards when it comes to talking about blacks then he should start the conversation by what he does not like about whitey first!!

Anonymous said...

to 9:16

Something smells with your post. I too have live in very mixed neighborhoods (Oakland, CA), and I used to play basketball with the local blacks and hispanics there. It was a rough neighborhood.

Sure, there's a lot of trash talk on the court, and it spills over into real life, but I have never felt the emotions that you express in your post.

How is it possible to live and play with such others and come away with your viewpoints??

It makes me want to ask.. What's the matter with you?

Anonymous said...

"I am confident that I can go before the pearly gates, state that my soul has no hate for another and get granted some VIP access."

I think being/voting for the Abortion Party may get you to the gates, but not through them.

Anonymous said...

2:42 Sorry... God made hell to keep conservatives in line. True liberals are always have heaven.