Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

BREAKING NEWS! Showtime Coming To Salisbury?


Prize Fight Promotions came into Salisbury Monday to conduct a meeting with representatives from the Wicomico County Convention Center and Showtime Network. The details have been worked out and ironed out to bring a Nationally Televised Showtime Prize Fight to Salisbury with exception of the Maryland Athletic Commission, in which all parties feel the details to their commitment will also be worked out.

The Time, OCTOBER 3RD, 2008. It's a Friday Night, the night before Homecoming in Wicomico County. There will be two bouts televised, one of them will be Fernando Guerrero in an 8 Round Fight and another bout that will be a 10 Round Bout. There will be a third fight but it won't be televised.

Now, from what my sources tell me, they are working very closely with Salisbury University to allow all College Students, High School Students and below extremely low ticket prices for these bouts and as I spoke directly with one of the Promoters last night, they're interested in possibly bringing as many as three Televised Fights to Salisbury per year.

So what does that mean? It means as a community, we need to support this event to show we're not only interested in Fernando Guerrero, we're interested in Prize Fights in Wicomico County.

Hal Chernoff has been working far too many years with these kids to let him down. So we're reaching out to everyone and asking for your support. Your response here, even anonymously, (as most people do anyway) would be greatly appreciated.

I'm hoping our friends in Crisfield, Deal Island, Ocean City, Princess Anne, Pocomoke, UMES and all those in between will also show their support as this is a really cool opportunity.

Within the next two days we should hear of a confirmation from the Maryland Athletic Commission and hopefully from there everything will be a go. Great work Hal. Now let's show these guys we're interested and the Eastern Shore is no longer a sleeper area in the State of Maryland!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great example of giving back to the community. There could be a draw from other areas that will improve our economy. It is also wonderful that there is a plan to encourage local people to attend. I've always thought that Salisbury should have a "locals" program like OC has to encourage people who live hear year round to support locally owned businesses. Thank you Fernando and Hal.

Anonymous said...

You're late this morning...heard it from the boys on 96 Rock...

Anonymous said...

I'm Ready

Anonymous said...

Joe, Not that it really matters but any word on cost of tickets? It won't matter my crew will be there in force!!!

Anonymous said...

SWEET! I'll be there!

Anonymous said...

whos he going to fight hal, you gonna hand pick them.

Anonymous said...

Okay Salisbury...you say there is nothing to do and nowhere to go..HERE'S your chance. Say you saw a future world champion before the rest of the world!

MelissaW said...

Saw the story on WBOC this morning. Looking forward to it, and hoping to attend, if the ticket prices are right....any word is SU alumni will get discounts?

Anonymous said...

Heard it at 6:00am on WBOC- this is great !!!

Anonymous said...

Keep us posted on ticket sales Joe!

Tax Guy said...

Who cares who breaks the story first. It's nice to see the community support.

I'm going, and bringing my oldest son. Keep us updated on the costs and final confirmation.

joe albero said...

I could have broke this story at 2:00 yesterday afternoon, so you know. I felt the biggest bang for this story would be in the morning and not passed over. You're right though. The key to THIS STORY is the community support. Perhaps I made a bad call on when I produced it but I still think I did what was best attention wise.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a boxing fan, not because of the violence (which is great), but just never had much interest in it. But, seeing and hearing this young man be interviewed by local stations, I will watch and possibly attend this event. Fernando is polite, humble and respectful. What a person to be admired and someone that I'd like my son to be like (in his demeanor). Keep your good manners Fernando!
Good Luck Fernando! We in the 'Bury/County are behind you all the way!!!!!!!

Notron said...

This is a great opportunity to display the sweet science to those who have not yet experienced a live boxing match. This will hopefully start a trend of boxng matches in the civic center for the near future. And possibly get the bad taste out of boxing fans mouths by watching a fight where the boxers are in their prime (not trying to make a lame comeback) and not corrupted (Don King stay away)

Anonymous said...

total of 5 fights Joe, there will be 4 prior to Fernandos fight, which is the co- main event. Then the main event, which Hal said is going to be a championship fight with will be a 12 rounder.

Everyone come out and support this kid and a great cause.
Barry C

Anonymous said...

15 years ago I was in the Navy stationed in Norfolk and saw my one and only live proffesional fight. Local boy Pernell (Sweet Pea) Whitacker was awesome, and the city came out in full force to support him. I expect nothing less from Salisbury and the local towns. It was one of the most exciting things I've ever seen. Now I get to see my second live fight!

Jim said...

joealbero said...
I could have broke this story at 2:00 yesterday afternoon, so you know. I felt the biggest bang for this story would be in the morning and not passed over. You're right though. The key to THIS STORY is the community support. Perhaps I made a bad call on when I produced it but I still think I did what was best attention wise.

--------------------------

I saw it WBOC news last night during end of 11pm news. But you are right, more people will see it here posting it this am.
Hope there is a big turnout!!

JIM

GO CAPS!!
(now lets see some hockey at the Civic Center!!)

Anonymous said...

I will be there!
Ill be on the look out for ticket info.


-ACS

Anonymous said...

Is Guerrero running for office? I see his face everywhere