Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

An E-Mail That Just Came In

"Joe,

A coworker and I were just talking… and we came up with the idea that you should buy property in Salisbury and run for mayor in the next election J Give Barrie a run for her money… it would be nice to see someone who actually cares about the city in office."

First of all, thank you. However, I do own property, including two residences in Downtown Salisbury. Considering we own too many animals to live in the City of Salisbury, we choose not to reside here.

More importantly, Mayor Barrie Tilghman is not going to run for re-election. Gary Comegys will attempt to take her place instead. So I wouldn't have to worry about running up against Barrie Tilghman.

The way I personally feel about it is, I believe I can do far greater work for the City of Salisbury by sitting on the outside looking in. This Blog has done more for the City than anything else I can think of.

I spent more than 20 years working my tail off to be in the position to retire and not deal with all those pressures any more. I'm not saying one day down the road I wouldn't be interested but right now is not the time.

I'm personally hoping the Citizens will see a Candidate this go around that has the same integrity as let's say Sheriff Mike Lewis. An individual that could get into Office, know there's no hidden agenda and will dedicate their life to giving back to this community. I believe we're going to see some people like that in this upcoming election and Gary Comegys isn't one of them.

I certainly thank you for that kind gesture but I think I'll just sit in the background for a while and watch how the City heals and pulls itself out of the hole Barrie Tilghman has dug them into. It's going to be a long road to any real recovery and everyone is going to have to understand that whomever gets elected is going to take more than 4 years to get things straight.

Remember, the people who will be running who really care have been to most Council Meetings and have been involved in the community for many years. The Barrie Wanna Be's are the slick ones that will start coming out of the woodwork in the very near future.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And Joe can't run for mayor. Have to have lived within the city for a year prior to election. Same with Shanie's seat.

People just can't up and move into Salisbury or a particular district at this point and run for that office.

Tax Guy said...

Well, I for one think Joe making himself accessible in person is a very upfront and ballsy move. So many people hide behind their blogs, websites and studios. I applaud you for making yourself visible at your office or any community event.

..Tax Guy...

Anonymous said...

I think an excellent candidate, as you have pointed out, is Jim Ireton. He is very committed to Salisbury, has integrity, charisma, a professional background, and all the other assets we expect in our mayor. His youth is a great plus. Though he is not of my political party, I voted for him when he ran for (and won) a Council seat (Of course, Salisbury elections are non-partisan anyway)because I was so impressed. I remember that he must have worn out a few pairs of shoes as he campaigned from house to house. I don't know, though, if he would have the time needed to do the mayor's job. Think about it, Jim!

Anonymous said...

Joe,
Who are the canidates lining up on the ballot? Your blog would be a great forum for all canidates points of view/platform, both parties. The blog could ask all canidates informed questions, post their answers and then inject your comments. Please consider this.
Thanks. Your blog rocks! IT IS SALISBURY'S MSM

Anonymous said...

what is the mayors annual salary?

Anonymous said...

$30,000 year and an expense account