Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, August 11, 2008

A Comment On The Humane Society & More......

I would like to leave my comments on the agency in discussion. I have not had a pleasant experience with this agency since I moved here in 1976. Originally living in Montgomery County where the humane society had served me and my family very well.
When first living here in the 70's I quickly discovered that the same humane society I had known all my life wasn't living here in Wicomico County and it still isn't.

Granted some ordinances may be different but I do not think they are many in number. You can still have unspayed or un-neutered animals at large in your yard. Not all animals do remain in the yard though, especially when still "intact." Such as some folks who live in the Sharptown area. Nice looking place to live, till you try to walk about the town with your dog leashed. You will be met by several loose barking dogs as you do your very best to remain within the guides of our ordinances concerning pet owner ship.

The sheriffs department does nothing, the animal control officers do nothing. They don't say they do nothing. They say they do this and that but the problem still persists and I see that the officers visit the homes frequently of the perpetrators or owners of ill mannered dogs. Ooops, one of the ill mannered dogs is the officers personal pet...my bad.

I feel very badly for the people who have actually lost their dog for good. The agency's cheap, lousy excuse is a fairly good representation of all the things I have witnessed through the years of trying to deal with the Wicomico County's animal/humanity/society. A enormous lack of professionalism for the start. In applying for a receptionist's position after having been a professional receptionist for years, I discovered that nepotism was the key to holding a position there. But that was a completely different clique then the existing one today. Errr, excuse me, staff.

Now the building and grounds are lovely no doubt, Wicomico is very good at coverings for dirty places. Like the Campbell soup building and the waterfront, both lovely places waiting, waiting, waiting for their coverings. The old bus depot waited a very, very long time for it's new covering. But Wicomico was up in neighborhoods chasing landlords for cracked windows and loose bricks in folks' homes.
I am totally digressing, again, my bad.

I had a lovely dog that I adopted from the newspaper. He was a stunning specimen of an Akita. He was not yet fixed when he became mine and did run away by jumping out the second story window of my in-town home. We'd had him for three days He was picked up and not released to me. I was supposed to get a talking to by an officer who was not available. Uh huh.

I had to call the president of the board of directors to make them release my dog to me. And no one ever said anything when I picked him up except; the girl who had to give him to me tried to scold me on the upkeep of this dog I just adopted. She told me I wasn't grooming him properly nor caring for his needs.

I saw her fawning all over my supposed vicious breed dog, and suspected that the only reason that my dog could not be released to me was that the employee wanted to keep my gorgeous dog for herself. She was making it more and more evident as each second ticked by. It was quite an ordeal for me and for the dog.
I managed to keep a calm and took my dog home. I kid you not, if I had not been working for the husband of this important cog in the wheel of the wagon at the time, I would never have seen my lovely Timber again. I did have him "fixed" by a reputable vet and he lived to be a glorious 18 year old companion. The best I ever had or suspect will have.

But no thanks to Wicomico Humane Society. I would never, ever deal with them again. Except, I have to;

The dogs out in Sharptown are totally out of controll. And now Sharptown has adopted the ordinance stating dogs to be leashed or controlled by voice command. Unless a family is too lazy to do that they put the collars on them. So I have to still listen to the incessant barking as people and cars or birds go by! Thanks Sharptown, thanks Wicomico County, especially to the Sheriff's department. Deputies riding in Air conditioned cars way faster than the speed limit that's posted...and driving up meridians on the way to Mickey "D's" Yeah, I saw you talking on your cell phone driving erradically.

Okay enough.

9 comments:

countrygirl@heart said...

Amen. Either be consistent with everyone or wipe the slate clean and completely restaff!

Anonymous said...

ok people everyone should be aware of this women that is know as the crazy lady of sharptown. she is always complaining about other peoples dogs but never mentions the fact that her dogs are always loose in fact her pitbull has chased me kids. she lets her dogs lose in her yard and has no control over them they are mean dogs. this is also a lady that has a baby doll in her addict window. her yard looks like a pig pen. her fense is falling down and the smell of pot is so strong you can smell it walking past her house. if she is so worried about deputies doing their job then why does she drive to the nearest school and make the deputy that is suppost to be there come to her house and handle the dog complaints that she has. she doesn't have problems with dogs she has problems with people . she wears a black top hat walking through town and she talks to her animals and tells them that people are aleins.... who is the one with the problem..

Anonymous said...

carry a large can of bear spray
(pepper spray)it can be purchased at Gander Mountain. The dogs that give you a problem while your walking will leave you alone with one blast of this stuff. If the problem continues , move to another
country.

Anonymous said...

Hey 3:34
Maybe she needs to spray you with the pepper spray , I know this lady and she is a wonderful person.

Anonymous said...

I know this woman too. As a matter of fact just last week her husband was in my yard getting her dog because it was harassing my dog and wouldn't listen to him. It was not on a leash either. Her dogs are not on voice command and are not leashed. She has a mean pit bull that has chased my kids too. She torments all the kids that walk by her house and neighbors dogs wouldn't bark at her if she didn't torment them. She is also the one who has so many dogs that she can't effectively take care of them properly.

Anonymous said...

Look folks, let's get real here! Dog jumped out of a second story building, dumb dog and dumb owner. Sounds they both had issues in finding out who was the master. It could have been her kid !! So, we have beaten up on the Humane Society enough and I don't even have any dealings with them except when I get a stray cat in my yard. I simply pick up a cage, catch the cat and take it in. They are pleasant and helpful. Yep, I have DOGS too. Nope they have never in more years than most of you know had to chase any of mine nor will they ever. I knew where my kids and dogs were...in school. yep dogs too. It is hard for Wicomico Humane Society with only a couple of dog control officers to be in Sharptown at every whistle blow. I think this lady has taken up enough space and our time. As I said, move on. Maybe this lady needs to get busy and do some volunteer work somewhere to help pets.

Anonymous said...

This merits, not just comment space, but a separate post? Yes, I'm sure the Humane Society worker should be chastised for daring to tell an owner how to care for a dog so it won't jump out of a second story window. Clearly the worker was nitpicking the owner's exemplary handling of the dog so the worker could get the dog for herself. This is laughable. I know we're showcasing bad stories about the Humane Society but . . .

Anonymous said...

So I've read this post three times trying to figure out what this woman's issue is with the Humane Society and I really can't figure it out. It's a slightly long post but I only see two times that she had an interaction with the agency.

The first interaction she had she was upset because she was denied for a job. Her only thought as to why she was denied is because she feels they only hire there kin...Is there a secret incest clan hiding behind the doors of the Humane Society...I don't know.

The second interaction she had was when her dog jumped out of a second story window and ran loose through the neighborhood. Someone already commented earlier and I agree that if your dog jumps out a second story window there is really only one person to blame, yourself. So anyways, her dog jumps out a window, animal control does there job and picks it up and delivers it to the Humane Society. She then goes to the Humane Society where they release her dog to her and tell her she isn't grooming it well. I think she is also trying to say that she is mad that they didn't yell or fine her but I really can't tell from her scattered thoughts and writing.

So I'm wondering what your real gripe is with the Humane Society??? I truly got absolutely nothing out of this article and feel less intelligent after reading it.

I believe she ends her masterpiece insinuating that police should be just about the only people in America to drive around without air conditioning in the 21st century. Apparently when police order from Ford or Dodge they are supposed to disconnect the A/C so that the officers can be miserable and she can feel that they aren't too comfortable while at work.

*SIGH*

Anonymous said...

Anon 7:36

You left off the fact that this dog lived to be 18 years of age. The event took place when she first got it. I think the shelter has been through many changes of directorship and even location since.

I think the note is a wee bit late in coming, don't you?