Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, July 04, 2008

A VIEW FROM THE WEST: Shop Normal

So this evening on my way back from the Music and Arts Center that I found out about on the edge of town in Scaggsville, I thought I would stop in to BLOOM. I hear about it all of the time so I figure I would stop in to see what the big hub-bub was, especially after a couple of co-workers told me that it was not anything special.

First thing is first...Bloom is a yuppier version of Food Lion. This concept was created a number of years ago to capture different type of consumers. When I moved to Laurel originally, there were three Food Lion stores. Now there is two Bottom Dollars (the other Food Lion concept) and a Bloom which is just on the edge of town in Howard County.

So here we go on the adventure into a place that is suppose to be a different type of grocery store. First and foremost, I walk in, there was no singing, dancing or high-fiving anyone anywhere like the commercial. Oh, and there was no big entry way either (at least at this particular one).


Long story short, there is nothing special about Bloom. It is a regular grocery store where parking is a priority to those who are handicapped or have kids with them. OH and they have a map of the store on the shopping cart handles. But other than that...eh. But at least there is another 24 hour grocery store if I need it.

It should also be noted that upon further review, there is a bloom in Odenton as well, but no Music and Arts store close by as far as I know.

(crossposted at blog.kennyburns.com)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

they had a Bloom store in Gaithersburg when I lived in Montgomery County. I really wish that they would upgrade the Food Lion in Delmar because Bloom is more upscale. Hey has anyone heard the rumor that Harris Teeter will be moving in the vacant space where Giant was
located in North Salisbury?

Puppytoes

Anonymous said...

As long as you do not get a Bottom Dollar, you should be fine.

Anonymous said...

I heard there is a Bloom coming on Route 54 in Fenwick AKA Selbyville DE

I sure hope Harris Teeter is taking over the old Giant what a great store.