Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Happy Hour Review, Monkey Barrel

Awhile back we had some restaurant reviews and they went to the wayside because Joe could only do so much. One of the suggestions on a posted reply was “happy hours”. So here it is, SbyNews.com Happy Hour Review. If any of you have any requests about a happy hour or restaurants for regular menu fare shoot me an e-mail. I’ll try to get out to as many I can notwithstanding my stomach’s capacity which is quite large for my runners frame. I’ll get one or so a week. Rankings will be out of 5. Hope you enjoy and find things helpful.

Today’s review is The Monkey Barrel, yes The Barrel. Traditionally a night hangout for the college student, Barrel introduced food to the establishment late last year and thus have established a set happy hour (HH). Barrel Boasts a later HH than the rest of the bars; Monday - Thursday from 7-9pm, Friday 4-9pm, and Saturday from 7-9pm. This is great for those who get off work or class later or those wishing to continue their night. Traditionally HH is from 4-7 at most places. Barrel has two pool tables, a dance floor, and a projection TV in the back!Barrel is an open bar with plenty of seating at the bar, in booths, or at tables. You will never be crowded at HH here and you can find your own place to socialize with your friends or do some work. The drink specials are $1.50 domestic drafts and rail drinks. Food specials are half price appetizers in which the regular prices are $4-7 dollars each. Barrel also has sandwiches from 5-7 dollars, both hot and cold. This is affordable!

My take: Barrel’s HH is on point. You get what you pay for here guys. Loaded fries are giant baskets of cheese and bacon which can feed 2-3 people easily and you get 12 wings with every order and they are both great. Try the Barrel flavored wings, not too spicy but still has a pleasant kick to them. Other apps include onion rings, mozzarella sticks, giant chicken tenders, and loaded nacho’s and all cater to my snacking needs. Compared with other main stream chains you get a lot more for what you pay for with the same quality. Barrel is not loud like some other HHS and you can carry on a conversation or hear the game on the TV. The crowd is biggest on Fridays and Barrel attracts both students, locals, and even some professors waiting for a break from the daily grind.

Final Score: 4.25 monkeys out of 5!

4 comments:

Michael Swartz said...

The crowd is biggest on Friday because a lot of them hang around to see the bands they have each week. Sometimes I show up for that too.

joe albero said...

Boy oh boy, they'll be packed now. LOL

Anonymous said...

dont drink and drive and remember to tip your server. most of all have fun.

Anonymous said...

I say dont go there!!This past Saturday night around 1:15 a.m I was asked by a friend to meet them at Monkey Barrel. At the door I was asked to show my ID which I did. I was then asked by another bouncer (who I later learned was a manager) if I had a Gull card. I responded no but I have my UMES ID. He then informed me that if I did not have a Gull card the cost for admission is $20. I learned later that SU students are charged more on UMES nights as well.

Salisbury has 3 colleges all relatively close in distance. Monkey Barrel is one of the only bars in town that segregates college night. After sharing my experience with several of UMES students it is perceived (rather intentionally or unintentional) that we have a white college night and a black college night; Salisbury University is 85% the majority race and UMES being a historically black college. After speaking with one of the bar mangers he informed me that the same rule of obsessive pricing applies on UMES night and SU night. However, Separate but Equal does not justify the practice, and there have been several Supreme Court cases in regards to this matter.
I want to say that as a graduate of UMES I am not completely opposed to have a SU night and a UMES night. However if I am a UMES student and want to go out with my friends at SU and vice versa I should be allowed to do so without being obsessively charged. I am not opposed to charging one school more on certain nights (example. $5 vs. $3). However, $20 is obsessive, and sends the message to the excluded school that you don’t want them there. That practice is offensive for me a feeling shared by several students in the community.
Furthermore, There is no advertisement in reference to SU night on monkey barrels facebook page. The owner makes daily post in reference to events and specials for the next night. The only night he does NOT advertise weekly is UMES night. there is a reference to UMES night under information..However there is never a reference to SU night. Still on SU night that I assume is randomly selected UMES students pay $20 to get in... When a complaint was made to the "owner" in reference to perception of the business practice for UMES students of white vs black college night (intentional or not). The owner apparently asked a black bouncer to answer the complaint. Not a manager... a bouncer.....