Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Sunday, February 18, 2018

A Florida Teacher Speaks Out About School Shooting

Kelly Guthrie Raley

Okay, I’ll be the bad guy and say what no one else is brave enough to say, but wants to say. I’ll take all the criticism and attacks from everyone because you know what? I’m a TEACHER. I live this life daily. And I wouldn’t do anything else! But I also know daily I could end up in an active shooter situation.

Until we, as a country, are willing to get serious and talk about mental health issues, lack of available care for the mental health issues, lack of discipline in the home, horrendous lack of parental support when the schools are trying to control horrible behavior at school (oh no! Not MY KID. What did YOU do to cause my kid to react that way?), lack of moral values, and yes, I’ll say it-violent video games that take away all sensitivity to ANY compassion for others’ lives, as well as reality TV that makes it commonplace for people to constantly scream up in each others’ faces and not value any other person but themselves, we will have a gun problem in school. Our kids don’t understand the permanency of death anymore!!!

I grew up with guns. Everyone knows that. But you know what? My parents NEVER supported any bad behavior from me. I was terrified of doing something bad at school, as I would have not had a life until I corrected the problem and straightened my ass out. My parents invaded my life. They knew where I was ALL the time. They made me have a curfew. They made me wake them up when I got home. They made me respect their rules. They had full control of their house, and at any time could and would go through every inch of my bedroom, backpack, pockets, anything! Parents: it’s time to STEP UP! Be the parent that actually gives a crap! Be the annoying mom that pries and knows what your kid is doing. STOP being their friend. They have enough “friends” at school. Be their parent. Being the “cool mom” means not a damn thing when either your kid is dead or your kid kills other people because they were allowed to have their space and privacy in YOUR HOME. I’ll say it again. My home was filled with guns growing up. For God’s sake, my daddy was an 82nd Airborne Ranger who lost half his face serving our country. But you know what? I never dreamed of shooting anyone with his guns. I never dreamed of taking one! I was taught respect for human life, compassion, rules, common decency, and most of all, I was taught that until I moved out, my life and bedroom wasn’t mine...it was theirs. And they were going to know what was happening because they loved me and wanted the best for me.

There. Say that I’m a horrible person. I didn’t bring up gun control, and I will refuse to debate it with anyone. This post wasn’t about gun control. This was me, loving the crap out of people and wanting the best for them. This was about my school babies and knowing that God created each one for greatness, and just wanting them to reach their futures. It’s about 20 years ago this year I started my teaching career. Violence was not this bad 20 years ago. Lack of compassion wasn’t this bad 20 years ago. And God knows 20 years ago that I wasn’t afraid daily to call a parent because I KNEW that 9 out of 10 would cuss me out, tell me to go to Hell, call the news on me, call the school board on me, or post all over FaceBook about me because I called to let them know what their child chose to do at school...because they are a NORMAL kid!!!!!

Those 17 lives mattered. When are we going to take our own responsibility seriously?

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have said it better. Thank you for speaking up.

Anonymous said...

She is exactly right. A big problem is the economy. People aren't home when the kid gets home anymore, or working overnight shifts. I am expecting my first child and will not send him or her to a public school, and the problem is not the teachers it's the students.

Anonymous said...

That's great but there will always be bad parents. You know what there doesn't always have to be? Easy access to weapons capable of this much damage in such a short time.

Anonymous said...

This is an absolutely fabulous piece. It clearly describes the way my husband and I raised our three sons, who are now adults with their own children. The boys always thought we were the "worst" parents ever because we were "always in their business" (as if children have any business)!!! They had curfews and they were required to demonstrate respect for themselves and others.
Wake up people - we will stop this epidemic of violence, if we simply start doing our job as parents.

Anonymous said...

Very well said!!

Anonymous said...

Knowing this, we should up the age to purchase/own/have any firearm to 21. Sever penalties for anyone enabling a person under 21 to obtain a firearm, failure to have your guns locked in a safe when not physically in your possession. Penalties for allowing your firearms to be stolen.

Anonymous said...

Amen,to every word. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

VERY WELL SAID!!!

Anonymous said...

I totally support this author and their post. Truthful as hell, guns have not changed, people have!!

Anonymous said...

332
Not much of a fan for FREEDOM, huh?
Enjoy your totalitarian government.
Oh, that’s right, you probably don’t know what the word means. You are so well educated about government and civics.

Anonymous said...

You have to ask why the legal age isn’t 21 already.
Jesus, you can buy an assault rifle but don’t dare try buying a beer.
What a joke.

Anonymous said...

Yep exactly...spread this around

Anonymous said...

It's no wonder that kids now have anger and behavior issues. They have stressful home lives. Single and/or absent parents, sometimes drug addicted family members, sometimes moving residences frequently, not getting enough nutritious food or sleep. Stress does a number on the body AND mind. As they grow older it just builds up and gets worse. They probably need therapy instead of anti-depressants(which a lot of people are on).

Anonymous said...

Finally !!! Common Sense !!! Hits the nail right on the head. Fantastic letter. Needed to have been said a long time ago.

Anonymous said...

Please all you people on here talking about amen and she hit the nail on the head are the same hypocrites who bash teachers.

Anonymous said...

5:17 I'm an educated wealthy republican that thinks times have changed and 18-21yo's are not the same as they were 40 years ago. They should not have the ability to purchase/own firearms. As far as hunting goes, only while in the company of a person 21 or older who is legally responsible for their actions.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Knowing this, we should up the age to purchase/own/have any firearm to 21. Sever penalties for anyone enabling a person under 21 to obtain a firearm, failure to have your guns locked in a safe when not physically in your possession. Penalties for allowing your firearms to be stolen.
February 16, 2018 at 3:32 PM

Ignorance abounds with this one. I won't even address all your flawed "ideas".

When are you people going to wake up and "discover" that it is NOT a gun issue. It is a people issue, specifically a mentally deficient people issue.

This country has had guns forever, they haven't changed. People have changed. People's demeanor has been on the decline for decades. Lack of love, compassion, courtesy, empathy, genuine concern for fellow man. Mental health issues and the drugs that follow.

We need to stop making a bogeyman out of an inanimate object and face the real causes. Be the change you wish to see.

Anonymous said...

Another dumb Facebook rant. Mental illness and broken families will always be in existence. They were 20 years ago and they will 20 years from now. An 18 year old being able to walk into a shop and easily buy an assault rifle doesn’t have to be.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Another dumb Facebook rant. Mental illness and broken families will always be in existence. They were 20 years ago and they will 20 years from now. An 18 year old being able to walk into a shop and easily buy an assault rifle doesn’t have to be.
February 17, 2018 at 7:16 AM

And you are doomed to keep repeating the same mistakes over and over. Just pass another law, that will stop them. Put an age limit on guns. Surely they will respect that.

This problem will never be solved thinking and acting the same failed ways. But some people will never figure that out for themselves. They need someone to do their thinking for them. They are defeated before an effort is even attempted.

Anonymous said...

Thats why they are saying Amen! Duh

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!! But unfortunately, talking to mentally disturbed people or people who didnt inherit the common sense gene is like talking to the inanimate object that you mention. You are wasting your breath and time. Sorry

superstardebater said...

Anonymous said...
Thank you!!! But unfortunately, talking to mentally disturbed people or people who didnt inherit the common sense gene is like talking to the inanimate object that you mention. You are wasting your breath and time. Sorry
February 17, 2018 at 11:30 AM

Yes, I tend to agree with what you say but we still have to try to get through. It does get very frustrating at times, unfortunately.