Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

ACLU: Christian Woman Forced to Remove Headscarf for License In Alabama

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — A Christian woman in Alabama was forced to remove her headscarf for a driver’s license photo after being told only Muslim women could wear them in photos, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday by the American Civil Liberties Union of Alabama on her behalf.

Yvonne Allen of Tuskegee said in the lawsuit that when she went to renew her license in December, she was directed to remove the headscarf she wears in accordance with her religious beliefs. She said the clerk insisted that only Muslim women were allowed to cover their hair in the photos.

“I was devastated when they forced me to remove my headscarf to take my driver’s license photo,” Allen said in a statement released by the ACLU. “Revealing my hair to others is disobedient to God. I should have the same right as people of other faiths to be accommodated for my religious beliefs.”

More

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

If they allow this I am showing up for my next license picture in some type of goofy mask because my religion requires I wear it.

Anonymous said...

Christianity does not require a head scarf thingamabob! We are not all equal! Religion needs to be respected. Look at what the christians are going thru these days!

Anonymous said...

Then the DMV needs to get educated on all religions and their requirements and abide by all of them, not just Islam.

Anonymous said...

Religion has nothing to do with a driver's license.Everyone should lose the head gear when getting their DMV photo or ride the bus.

Anonymous said...

Guess what....under Muslim law you have NO rights.

Anonymous said...

My religion requires me to wear a suit of metal Armor, and I am going to get my photo done with my visor down. I can use the money from the lawsuit!

Anonymous said...

I agree that for a license photo the entire head should be shown without covering, but the woman has a point. There are many Christian groups that have modesty "codes" from the Amish to some Pentecostals.

Anonymous said...

5:51 is exactly right. Whether a woman wears a head scarf or not depends on how closely her branch of Christianity follows the old testament. Many Jewish women also wear head scarves. And, of course, the Amish and Mennonites wear their caps.

Rebel Without a Clue said...

My belief system requires me to pack a gun, much like "Slowpoke Rodrigez" did in the Speedy Gonzalas cartoons.

Anonymous said...

Why is a Christian wearing a head scarf ??????