Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, July 18, 2016

After losing my husband to brain cancer.......

"After losing my husband to brain cancer, Sweet Lilly entered my home on April 18th, 2013 at just 13 weeks old. I was her second placement since she was removed from her birth father’s care at 7 weeks old. She was a total light. I tried to guard my heart and prepare myself as her birth parents were working to regain custody. Loving her came instantly, it was unavoidable. I was willing to do whatever God wanted me to, whether that meant just to loving her fiercely until her parents got her back or being her mom forever. I was in! As time went on the thought of giving her back became unbearable. When she was 18 months old the court removed parental rights and we got the green light move forward with the adoption process. At 24 years old I'm not sure I was taken very seriously, I was the youngest person in my county doing a single parent adoption at the time. But they could see that Lilly was thriving and that my love was strong. She was 23 months old when we finalized. I started this journey thinking I was going to help a baby who needed me and come to find out God knew all along that it was actually me who needed her. He was writing this story all along and it's my favorite! If you are considering adopting please consider being a foster parent. You will be amazed. These kids need permanent loving families. Lilly is now 3 and a half and full of life!"

‪#‎LoveWhatMatters‬

Credit: Putnam Family via Together We Rise

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to see a happy ending.

I couldn't get the same through Wicomico Child serives.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely story! Thank you for posting this, Joe.

Anonymous said...

Great to see a positive outcome for one so precious!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for her sake and the love you have. Your love will be returned 10 fold, and stepping up so young is a wonderful example. God Bless you both.

Anonymous said...

What a great step towards healing. No better way than to help others with your pain.