INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. - A woman suffered a heart attack during a New Year’s Eve celebration at a downtown Indianapolis bar, but a customer’s complaint about the response fueled a social media firestorm.
According to a manager at Kilroy’s Downtown Indy, a 70-year-old woman suffered the heart attack while celebrating New Year's Eve with her family. A customer named Holly Jones took to Facebook to complain that the response to the event ruined her holiday celebration. The woman said she believed someone had suffered a drug overdose and was upset the wait staff wasn’t attentive to her and her guests:
“I will never go back to this location for New Year’s Eve!!! After the way we were treated when we spent 700+ and having our meal ruined by watching a dead person being wheeled out from an overdose my night has been ruined!!! Every year we have come to Kilroys to enjoy New Years Eve and tonight we were screamed at and had the manager walk away from use while (we) were trying to figure out our bill being messed up. The manager also told us someone dying was more important then us being there making us feel like our business didn’t matter, but I guess allowing a Junkie in the building to overdose on your property is more important then paying customers who are spending a lot of money!! Our waitress when we were trying to ask about our bill being messed up also said “what do you want me to do (expletive) pay your bill for you?” What a great way to talk to a paying customer! I get that working on New Years Eve (is) stressful but being a complete (expletive) to us all night knowing you get an automatic gratuity is not right!!!”
Kilroy's manager Chris Burton replied to the woman’s post and clarified the woman had not suffered a drug overdose, but had a heart attack.
"First of all, the “overdosing junkie” that you speak of was a 70-year-old woman who had a heart attack. Thankfully she was revived at the hospital and survived. It sounds like you were very concerned about her so I thought you should know. This poor lady, who was celebrating New Year’s Eve with her husband and son, had to be placed on the floor of a completely packed bar and have her shirt removed in front of everyone so the paramedics could work on her.