Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, September 18, 2015

Ocean City to oppose offshore seismic testing

If you think your upstairs neighbor’s constant thumping is bad, imagine how the fish are going to feel.

Ocean City may be passing a resolution next week opposing federal plans to permit the use of underwater sound cannons to test for oil and gas deposits below the ocean floor off of the resort’s beach.

The Assateague Coastal Trust is trying to rally support for the resolution, to be presented to the city council at this coming Monday’s session.

“I think we would likely send a letter to our congressional delegation and to the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management,” said City Engineer Terry McGean.

“It’s the council’s decision, but my personal recommendation was that the potential benefit of any jobs created from offshore oil and gas exploration is probably pretty far outweighed by the risk to an industry we already have, which is fishing.”

More

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"imagine how the fish are going to feel"

I don't really think I can do that. I don't know that fish "feel" anything. I am not concerned about their "feelings". Give me oil! lots of it. Cheap oil. I love to drive, and heat my home cheaply. When oil is less expensive, I have more money to spend on other things. Go ahead and THUMP those fish.

Anonymous said...

please don't allow this to happen.

Anonymous said...

If the bite dries up so will a multi million dollar industry in oc. We have plenty of shale gas to extract.

Anonymous said...

There has to be a way to drill it down a few feet and use less "thump" and get the same information. We used to need 100+ amps to run a guitar amp and speaker. Now we do the same with a fraction of the power.

Same same.

Anonymous said...

I hope they build wind turbines and put up drilling rigs. Be some darn good fishing around them.