Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Monday, February 23, 2015

Dogs know if you're untrustworthy

Dogs may not seem terribly bright when they're chasing their own tails, but in many ways they are clever creatures. In particular, they are very socially aware, both of humans and of each other.

Many studies have reported that they can sense human emotions. Recent research has found that they can tell the difference between happy and angry faces, and even show jealousy.

It now seems that they can sense when a person is untrustworthy. Once a dog has decided a person is unreliable, it stops following the cues they give.

More

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Untrustworthy and unreliable are not the same,but this post is absolutely right.Dogs can tell,but too few humans pay them enough attention.

LadyLiddy said...

If my dogs don't like you, you won't be in my life for long.

Anonymous said...

This post is absolutely correct. All my dogs could sense when someone was sincere, and kind, and when they weren't nice people.

I learned a long time ago to let my dogs choose my friends, and I'm a lot happier.

Anonymous said...

We could use that gene. Splice it in.

Anonymous said...


Why we never see the Portugese Water Dogs living in DC with their ostensible owner is now explained.