Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, December 06, 2012

Why I Chose Maryland


In this “People Behind the Policies” blog, we hear from a small business owner who talks about her decision to move her company to Maryland and how it affects our goal to Recover 100% of the jobs lost due to the Great Recession.
“Why I Chose Maryland”
As a small business owner, I looked all across the country for a new home for my company Bambeco, an online retailer specializing in sustainable home décor and furnishings. I considered sites in California, Pennsylvania, Northern Virginia and Washington D.C., but, in 2010, I settled on South Baltimore to take advantage of the area’s public transportation, incentives for eco-friendly businesses, and job creation tax credits within Enterprise zones, and proximity to the Port of Baltimore.
My company, which sells everything from solar-powered tea lanterns to rugs made of recycled soda bottles, has experienced strong growth since moving to Maryland. We have been able to hire throughout 2012, expanding our staff by about half. And we expect our current workforce of 24 to more than double over the next two years.
I am also pleased to report that Bambeco expanded its corporate headquarters this year and we expect to be at capacity again in a few months. And this fall, we moved our distribution operations into a 22,000 square-foot warehouse in the city. I want to thank the Department of Business and Economic Development for investing in our company through the Maryland Venture Fund andInvestMaryland and helping us to expand, grow jobs and add inventory.
I am proud to say that because of Bambeco’s success in Maryland, our products are being featured all over the country in major media outlets like USA Today, Every Day with Rachael Ray, People Magazine, and on TV, including The Today Show and Emmy-winning sitcom Modern Family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, but I plan on moving down out West and away from Maryland TAXES, GAYS, PRISON BOYS, and high gas O'Malley!