Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Is PMS a Myth?

For many women, premenstrual syndrome, or PMS, is a familiar preamble to their monthly cycle. But a new review of the data suggests that mood changes aren’t as closely tied to menses as many have assumed.
A team led by Dr. Sarah Romans of the University of Otago in New Zealand reviewed 47 studies that followed women’s moods across the menstrual cycle. Only 15% of the studies found that women tended to have “classic” PMS: moods that worsened as the menstrual period approached and lifted when menstruation occurred. An additional 38% found PMS that lasted into menstruation or another cycle phase.
More 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, this was an interesting article. A review of existing data that excluded women who suffer from PMDD as opposed to PMS. It's unclear if the finding would be different if they had been included.

Anonymous said...

No...no...oh hell no....especiallly if you read about PMDD....that crap is nasty...maybe some women use that as an excuse...but no...it's real.

Anonymous said...

I tend to get irritable a day before my cycle occurs, and it is not a predictable cycle. Therefore, I am anywhere from 24-32 days, but it's always the day before that I came across as moody. I've also noticed my anxiety level goes thru the roof during the first 2 days of my cycle. I think it's hormones, plain and simple. I'm not trying to be bitchy or irrational, it just happens. I've also noticed my husbands seems extra cranky for a few days per month. But he dosen't have PMS to blame. I think it all boils down to how our bodies react to hormone increases and decreases.

Anonymous said...

Look at the blood sugar level...