Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

BEWARE OF MATRESS WAREHOUSE IN NORTH SALISBURY

Dear Mr. Albero,

I normally do not write letters such as this, however I feel as though your readers need to be aware of shady businesses in Salisbury. On Feb. 19th, 2012, I went mattress shopping for a new bed. I looked at many different locations and decided on a Sealy bed at Mattress Warehouse in North Salisbury. It is located in front of Marshalls and Old Navy. The sales associate and I picked out the bed that suited my needs and I negotiated the price to $950.00. I felt that was reasonable for a $1,400 bed, so we did the paperwork and I paid them. The delivery was scheduled for the following week on Friday before noon. I was happy because I was finally getting a new mattress and box spring. When I was leaving the store, Ennis told me I would need to pay the delivery people $65 plus $28 for recycling of the old set. I told him that he had stated that it all was included previously. He tried to say that since the delivery was on a Friday and not a Tues, Thurs or Saturday, there is an additional charge. At this point, a female worker told him since he had told me that then there would be no charge. Back to the desk I went to redo the paperwork. While I was redoing the paperwork, another disgruntled customer called with a similar issue. She was from the Eastern Shore of Virginia. He was calling her a liar to the woman who had corrected him with me. I know, red lights should have been flashing on this one, but I agree that the customer is not always right, but in this case it is the business that is/was completely unprofessional.

Friday came and I had taken off work to be there for the delivery. Noon came and went and the delivery never showed up. I proceeded to call the store and inquire about the delivery. I spoke to "Ennis" who claimed to be the store manager and asked him about how much longer it might be before they got there. He started stuttering and stammering before he finally said the bed set was on back order and would not be available for another 3 weeks. I inquired as to why they did not give me a call to let me know this in advance, but Ennis claims that he did. Now forgive me if I am wrong, but I would not have taken the day off if they were going to be there nor would I be calling the store to check on the delivery. When I stated that I hadn't been called, I was called a "liar". With that being said, I decided to just cancel my order and go elsewhere with my purchase. Ennis refuses to refund my money back to me and claims I would pay much more for the same bed elsewhere. He claims that he can not do a refund on my credit card. At this point, I decide to escalate the matter to the corp. office.

I tracked down the corp. offices in Fredrick, MD at (301)682-8504. I call and speak with "Sharon". The situation is explained to her as stated above and she tries to find my order in the system using my phone number. There is no phone number listed for my purchase, so she takes it down again and states that she is going to call the store and check out the situation. About 45 minutes later, Sharon calls me back and says that they will issue my refund and I will have it by the 3rd of March. She also stated that she would oversee the paperwork and be sure it would be handled.

Well it is now the 13th and I still have not been refunded my money, so I called the corp. offices again today. This time I spoke to a different person who claims Sharon is out on medical leave. When she looks into my case, she finds everything noted in their system as stated above, but the paperwork has never been submitted for my refund. She states that she will be calling me back on Thursday to update me on the status of my refund. I am certainly not holding my breath on that, so I am off to my bank to dispute the charge. I know I should have done this from the beginning, but I wanted to give the company an opportunity to correct their mistake. It is a shame that many businesses have forgotten what good customer service is.

And Ennis, if you are reading this, I purchased the same Serta Perfect Sleeper for $699 from Lisa Fox at Sleepy's. She is great and the best, most honest sales associate I have ever bought from. It seems that their prices and customer service are far superior to Mattress Warehouse and yours. I received my bed last week and love it. I am just fortunate that I have the resources to not have to wait to buy another bed. I wanted to share this situation with your readers so they can avoid this store or be prepared to handle issues with them when they arise.

Signed,

Sleeping Better Because of Sleepy's


New Posts to fall below.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a similar experience with that store, but caught them lying before I bought, so I went elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

My Wife and I went shopping there a couple of weeks ago. I met this "Ennis" fellow and immediately felt uncomfortable in dealing with him. We left and found a mattress and box spring elsewhere. I'll never shop there and will discourage any others to do the same. Unfair/dishonest business practices.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up. We are in the market for a new matress and box spring and will eliminate this company from our list.

lastword said...

So you negotiated the price DOWN to 950 and still found it at another store for 699. 250 cheaper than what you negotiated down to. Wow.

We bought a bed from there years ago. It was one of those 'memory foam' beds.

It didn't last long and we had to replace it. This time we went online and bought one and had it shipped to our house.

Like you and others, we will never return to that store.

No one can or will stay in business long by screwing over their customers. Word will eventually get out and they will be ruined.

The sooner, the better in this case.

Anonymous said...

My wife and I looked all over town for a mattress and ended up buying from Boscovs. Very happy. I don't know why it is so hard to buy a mattress when all the stores have the same thing, but with different model or stock numbers.

Anonymous said...

Very similar experience here! We went and shopped for a bed set and found one we liked. They were having a President's Day weekend sale, so the price seemed fair enough. Informed them we were going to pick it up from that same store when it came in, which we were told would be just a couple days. That couple days turned into another, then another, etc. The dishonesty was also apparent! Finally, they said they would deliver and called in the afternoon to verify our correct address for morning delivery the next day. Then, not too long after, got a call from "Ennis" who said it would not be delivered till the following week!! He also reminded me that we "did get it almost half off", like they were doing us a favor!!
Very angry from the dishonesty and horrible customer service, I told him to just forget it and he agreed we could cancel it. Fortunately, I had only paid a deposit and told him I would be there the following day to do the paperwork for the cancel and to reverse the charge on my bank card., and was that was fine. We go in the next day, and as I handed him my card, he says he can't do the refund!! He stated it had to go through corporate office first to get a code to send back to the store to process the refund. Long story short, the following week was like pulling teeth trying to deal with corporate and the store. It was also apparent during this whole ordeal that they would cover a lie with more lies!!! We notified the BBB of this whole thing, as well as the local authorities since they had gotten my credit card number and had not processed a refund. We then went to "SLEEPY'S" in De. The salesman there "Andy" was so pleasant and honest, and very professional. Turns out we got a much nicer set than I could have ever imagined and for a good price. They promised delivery and was received on that day without any hassles, confusion or lies!!!
Honestly, don't know how Mattress Warehouse even stays in business; horrible company to deal with.
Thank You Sleepy's!!!

Anonymous said...

Make sure you dispute the charge on your credit card before 30 days are up. It sounds like they are stalling until then.

Anonymous said...

I would stand outside of their store with a huge sign warning potential customers. I would do this everyday until they refunded my money!

Anonymous said...

I tried to shop there once. Those people are as crooked as they come!

Anonymous said...

We were in the negotiation process when the salesman started trash talking the competition. Bad form for one business to trash another -sell me on YOUR product. He was so unprofessional we left without going any further in negotiations.

Anonymous said...

My wife and I always buy our mattresses and Furniture at FurnitureLand in Delmar. They are locally owned for over 20 years and have a huge selection of mattresses. Their sales team seems incredibly knowledgable and honest. Chain stores just can't do a great job of monitoring employees who are dishonest.

Ennis said...

Kiss my ass.

Anonymous said...

I just read an article about a woman who won a multi-million dollar verdict because the mattress she bought was infested with bed bugs. The purchase was for her son - and when she noticed welts appearing she took her son to a physician. The physician couldn't get a handle on the diagnosis and then she really became suspicious when her other son started having welts break out on him. He began complaining in the middle of the night - and when she went into the bedroom she say something miniture crawling on the mattress. Then - she turned over the box spring and say the bed bugs falling out.

The guy at the store where she purchased it from really gave her a hard time. So the jury ended-up awarding her several million dollars.

Anonymous said...

We have been looking for a mattress and looked at all the local mattress stores of which there many. We also ended up buying from Lisa at Sleepy's. She was great and we got a very good deal.

Anonymous said...

Ennis said...
Kiss my ass.

March 13, 2012 8:45 PM

lol. it's probably lumpy like your beds

Anonymous said...

Notify credit card company They can handle it.

Anonymous said...

After reading this, I will certainly not be shopping there. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

Anonymous said...

similar issue here too.

Anonymous said...

Ennis you might as well relocate or look for a new job, because it's over for your mattress business buddy, lol

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I read this. We are going shopping this weekend and I can promise you that we are not going to Mattress Warehouse now. Thank you Joe for exposing these crooks befoe they might have gotten us also.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....looks like they have over 340 complaints with the Better Business Bureau. This should scream out to the public about this company's business practices. Another scary thing is that only about half of them have been resolved.

Anonymous said...

Ohh how ironic! We were also about to go there to look for a mattress. Won't be going there@!@!
Thank you