Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Bank Of America Won't Let New Bride Deposit Wedding Gift Checks Because She Didn't Change Her Last Name

While a large majority of women in the U.S. choose to take their husband's last name when they get married, it's certainly not some unheard-of practice that should wreak havoc at a national bank. But Bank of America employees in Albany decided they could not possibly recognize a new bride as her husband's spouse since she hadn't changed her name to match his.

More »

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

bring in your marriage cert and they will change it....

Anonymous said...

7:06 Did you even read the article? 2 points:
1)She never changed her name. Doesn't want to. Wants to keep her old name.
2)She DID bring in her marriage certificate to prove that even though she was still using her maiden name, she was indeed married to her husband. They wouldn't accept it.

lmclain said...

Lawsuit. If THAT isn't sexist and gender discrimination, I don't know what else would be. She was trying to (according to the article) DEPOSIT money...they don't want deposits???

Anonymous said...

This happened to me at local banks. I just had not changed my name on my driver's license yet & I had to wait to deposit or cash the checks.

Anonymous said...

She just needs to change banks. When I got married, it was several months before I was able to get my name changed everywhere. My bank had no problem with me making deposits into my account, and cashing checks as well.
Funny how my payroll check rolled right into my account too with my new name even though my checking account was still in my maiden name!
I don't know why she doesn't just open a new account. Problem solved.

Anonymous said...

Umm I work at a bank....if the checks are made out to a Mr. and Mrs. Iroizzo and there is no Mrs. Iroizzo then the bank is right that is not her name and the checks can not be deposited into the account. If the checks were made to Mr. Iroizzo and Mrs. whatever her last name is then yes it would work. But since there is no Mrs. Iroizzo then how would it make sense for her to deposit chceks under that name? It is not the banks fault everyone else assumed that she was changing her name...