Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

UD Day Trippin' Via A DART Bus To Wilmington

Wilmington -- This article by Jen Rini is from the 9/13/11 The UD Review. A mixture of frustration, hilarity and pride seems to sum up the local sentiments about neighboring Wilmington. I've spent many a night defending Wilmington from the throws of New Englanders and New Yorkers, all the while never completely understanding what I consider the little city that could.

So this tale begins, as so many do, with a ballsy wanderer embarking on a quest. Or rather, a suburban girl venturing to the big city, just like the stars of every other ABC family movie.

Around 8:50 a.m. Monday, I popped over to the central transit hub in Newark to wait for my noble steed,the number six DART bus.

I had only heard stories of the infamous DART bus. Those who take it come back sweating and swearing up and down that only if they absolutely had to would they take this particular form of transportation again.

Here's some basic math for you to preface this situation. Driving distance from Newark to Wilmington is roughly 25 minutes, depending on traffic. Subtract one personal vehicle, add in one DART bus, and you're up to nearly an hour of transportation time.

However, 50 minutes later and $1.15 less in my pocket, I realized that the time riding on the Wilmington bus was worth it. I think it may partially be due to my affinity for taking the long way, coupled with my tendency to get lost and chat up random people, that I actually enjoyed riding on the bus.

At 9:02 a.m. we pulled away from the bus station, passing Newark High School and leaving the university bubble behind. The number six picks passengers up from little locations sprinkled around Newark and Wilmington,by the Wendys, around the corner of Kirkwood Highway, to local stops in front of neighborhood complexes.

As the ride progressed, it became clear to me that there exists an unwritten bus code. Older ladies stared quietly out the window, while younger gents seemed very into their music selections on their iPods. I chose the playlist of screeching brakes and traffic as the soundtrack to my adventure;something that for some odd reason is soothing to me rather than hair-raising.

As our ride continued, a young woman from Trinidad and Tobago and I spoke about Italians, the somewhat disgustingly large portions served at American restaurants and even the Newark shoe burglar of winter 2010. She shared with me some stories about Wilmington nightlife that are at times questionable, and ended her anecdotes with the phrase only in Wilmington.

Some people don't even consider Wilmington a city. While I admit it does not have the high-energy of NYC or the grungy flannel vibe of Philadelphia, it still has character. Maybe it's a city of eccentricities, or maybe in its own way it all makes sense and it's just the way it should be.

My favorite sites from my bus tour were the Italian neighborhood with its Venice inspired mural connecting red brick houses, intermixed with bakeries and markets dotting the streets as well as the waterfront.

During the ride home my bus driver, Richard (no last name) who claims he is just known as the bus driver spoke about his job with a fresh, positive outlook. As a substitute bus driver for eight years, he prides himself on knowing the regulars and displaying an air of friendliness. He loves the ever-changing community and insists that his job is the perfect one for anyone with attention deficit disorder (A.D.D.)

My advice,don't discount things you haven't experienced. Take a ride into Wilmington, explore a bit, talk to the willing locals and experience a city with a flavor all its own for better or for worse.

No comments: