Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, September 30, 2011

Transgender Kids: Painful Quest To Be Who They Are

Berkeley, California (CNN) -- One of the first things Thomas Lobel told his parents was that they were wrong.The 3-year-old had learned sign language because he had apraxia, a speech impediment that hindered his ability to talk. The toddler pointed to himself and signed,
"I am a girl.""Oh look, he's confused," his parents said. Maybe he mixed up the signs for boy and girl. So they signed back. "No, no. Thomas is a boy."But the toddler shook his head. "I am a girl," he signed back emphatically.

5 comments:

Cathy said...

i just read this article earlier this morning. i really enjoyed it. i wish all parents were as supportive of their kids and who they really are. I'm sure its hard to accept. i can't imagine if my son came to me and told me he wanted to be a girl. but we'd work through it together and i'd support him 100%.

Anonymous said...

Loony. He is a child that needs instruction. Lack of instruction and attention is why this country is in the shape it's in now.

Anonymous said...

still needs mental help

Anonymous said...

11:19 Did you read the whold article? We are only just understanding transgendered people. It is a real thing, though rare, as the article points out. Neither the young man nor his parents are "loony." Finally, he can live with his true gender.

Anonymous said...

My arms are really wings. My feet are claws.

I like being High.

I am an eagle.