Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, August 04, 2011

In Fear For Their Life In Downtown Salisbury, Maryland


Scared, disgusted, appalled in disbelief! These are some of the words that would describe my experience last night while drive through the Downtown Plaza of Salisbury, Maryland.

I live outside the city and can honestly say it has been years since I have been near the Downtown area in the late evening hours. However last night, do to a family emergency, I found myself driving through the city around 11:15pm and I was shocked.

I have heard people talk about how the area has gone downhill and the amount of homeless people that have taken up residency and I can tell you it is the truth.

I drove by the court house and I notice a woman (prostitute) standing on the corner of the flashing stop light. I have to stop and when I do she starts to approach my car. Call me sheltered by I am not accustom to this. I then turn down the road that WMDT is on and I see 2 men sleeping on the sidewalk in front of their building. I also notice as I am leaving the area that their are several people standing outside the area of the old Feldman's building.

The one thing I didn't see was any sign of the local police department, and I find that very sad.

I know that a lot of those building Downtown have apartments in them and I truly feel for the residents and their safety.

I will end with this, I have heard people refer the the City of Salisbury as "Little Baltimore" now I can honestly say they are 100% correct.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's because some police have been criticized and thus refuse to do their job as retaliation?

Anonymous said...

3:06
Maybe if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt.
Obama wanted change , you got it.

Anonymous said...

3:06 That's pretty stupid. If the police retaliated by refusing to do their job they'd all be replaced - unless of course the decision got tied up in the bickering in council and with the mayor.

Downtown is a dirty, disgusting, abandoned disgrace in the day time. Wouldn't expect it to get better at night.

Anonymous said...

3:24 PM

Maybe if you made sense someone would take you seriously.

Joseph Albero said...

anonymous 3:29, I pay more than $7,000.00 a year in taxes for my one building alone.

I want this cleaned up IMMEDIATELY. If they'd like to reduce it 50%, (ALL of us) we'd be happy to hire our own security.

Anonymous said...

3:06 That's pretty stupid. If the police retaliated by refusing to do their job they'd all be replaced - unless of course the decision got tied up in the bickering in council and with the mayor.

Don't know how or why you would think it is stupid, unless you are one of them, which is possible.

Some have already stated this and I'm sure drag their heels every chance they get.

Anonymous said...

The police have more to worry about then a couple people standing around. You can tell people to move along, but you can't arrest them for standing somewhere. A lot of the homeless around here are harmless. Would it surprise you to learn that some of our homeless persons are veterans?

Anonymous said...

They are committing no crime.

Anonymous said...

i travel the plaza quite frequent.usually after work hours early to mid evenings,if your lonely thats the place to be. why ? thats where the ladies for a date hang out.i have picked up quite a few if you know what i mean.they all need some lovin try it you might like it and move your wife out in the meantime.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the writer Salisbury has fallen apart so quickly it is mind blowing. Is there any area left in this city safe?

Anonymous said...

Change is good..yea right,,,I wont leave my home after dark...Salisbury is soooo bad...Drugs prostitutes, gangs..you name it...Come on folks lets clean it up and take back our city...

Scott said...

If my wife needs to go grocery shopping at night, I go with her because it is no longer safe anywhere in Salisbury in the evenings. I've been approached more that once at the Giant parking lot for money, Gordy's exxon, and the Walmart in Fruitland for money or someone trying to sell me something. You can call me sexist, but don't believe it is safe anymore, especially at night for a woman to be alone. There is safety in numbers.

Anonymous said...

Lets turn "The Bricks" into a bunkhouse for bums and deadbeats.

Anonymous said...

There is a homeless veterans home on route 50 accross from the maryland national guard...Has anyone bothered to tell these veterans this is available.?

Anonymous said...

How about no loitering and enforce it.

Anonymous said...

How about enforcing the laws against real criminals? The ones who rob, rape and kill. Pissing on a building might be disgusting to some but it doesn't make me scared to walk the streets.

Anonymous said...

But the Mayor is so concerned about the downtown, I'm sure this will be taken care of as soon as he's gone!

Anonymous said...

The cops patrol as often as their budget allows. More enforcement means more money.

Council says we're too poor to afford quality policing.

They wouldn't say that if this was happening in Camden.