Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Study: Marijuana Not Linked With Long Term Cognitive Impairment

The idea that “marijuana makes you dumb” has long been embodied in the stereotype of the slow, stupid stoner, seen in numerous Hollywood movies and TV comedies and going unquestioned by much of American culture. But a new study says no: the researchers followed nearly 2,000 young Australian adults for eight years and found that marijuana has little long-term effect on learning and memory— and any cognitive damage that does occur as a result of cannabis use is reversible.

Participants were aged 20-24 at the start of the study, which was part of a larger project on community health. Researchers categorized them as light, heavy, former or non-users of cannabis based on their answers to questions about marijuana habits.

More

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

other studies say the opposite. depends on the source and who's smokin'. just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

I plan to smoke a lot of pot after I retire.

lmclain said...

C'mon, man. Its either as dangerous as HEROIN (government position) or pretty much harmless (the truth).

Anonymous said...

Ask any psychologist and they will tell you smoking pot causes mental illness.

Anonymous said...

TO anon 6:47 pm:

So does watching TV or breathing air... Common get over that crap... I know many people who smoke while going to college and got their doctorates... Stupid, der no der der people don't get those do they?

Re-think what you know... or say...

Anonymous said...

Man. I don't, I mean.......I think.........what was I gonna say?

Anonymous said...

You be the judge, big differance between an el producto and a quality item. 6:47, this whole dam world causes mental illness.

Anonymous said...

Smoke has changed over the years, big time.

Anonymous said...

I sent in a early comment and I have yet to see it published? G.A. Y wasn't my comment posted?

Anonymous said...

I gotta clean my tube.

Anonymous said...

Pot does not make you Hollywood stupid. That is TELEVISION people. And Anon 827 how do you figure it has changed big time? It's not got any altering chemicals. It's natural. So how has it naturally changed big time? I don't believe it has.

Anonymous said...

Sorry burn outs it's proven fact that smoking pots leads to mental illness. And it's certainly a gateway drug at the very least so stop being so selfish and think of the kids that are coming up and act like an adult for once in your loser life.

Anonymous said...

well my opinion on the matter is...uh, ummm....what?