Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Word of the Day – 07/20/2011

regulus
reguli

(noun, noun pl.) a petty king. Also: the metallic mass that sinks to the bottom of a furnace during smelting (from the Latin, “little king”; regulus was the ancient name for antimony because of its ability to combine readily with gold, the king of metals).

from Rare Words II by Jan and Hallie Leighton; copyright 2008: Levenger Press

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a suggestion, but it would be nice to have pronunciation for all of these words also. I've seen it once before and found it to be useful. I like this word of the day bit.

G. A. Harrison said...

My apologies. I started to do pronunciations and forgot to add it in today. I've posted the "Word of the Day" for the next week or two and I have to go back and add the pronunciations. I've been doing day by day, but will try to get all caught up today.