Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Thursday, July 21, 2011

"And That Was When I Started Coloring My Hair" - An Older Man Looks For Work In The Recession

David was out of a job for two years and faced the difficult prospect of being a 54-year old looking for work as an IT manager. He carefully edited his resume so it had no hint of age. The only dates it mentioned were his last 10 years of experience. After sending his resume to a lot of places, he finally scored an interview, only to have the hiring manager react "dumbfounded" when she saw his age and his gray hair. The interview went well enough. The rejection email came a week later. "And that was when I started coloring my hair," David writes.

More »

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have run into the same thing looking for a job. I am 50 plus and was grey by the time I was in my mid 30's. I colored my hair then for vanity reasons. Lost my job due to the recession. I am now coloring my hair again, but just a lighter shade than the original so it doesn't look fake, in hopes to find a new job. My experience and knowledge so far have not done the trick in securing employment.

Anonymous said...

Joe, do you color your hair?

Joseph Albero said...

No, never have.