Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Letter To The Editor

Can anyone explain to me why WBOC has a mid-shore reporter who travels up to Chestertown concerning the city council voting this coming Monday about banning plastic bags?  The reason I ask is due to living in the area where WBOC opened up their studio yet they only seem to cover the two big businesses in Salisbury (PRMC and SU) and now anything north and northwest of Salisbury.  When OC opens up they will make a big show up being there during the summer.  What about the other places and things going on that used to be covered?  Are people in Chestertown watching WBOC or WJZ in Baltimore?  I noticed on snow days WJZ broadcast Kent County schools being closed yet WBOC didn't.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I expect the plastic bag story could become National News. WBOC was justified with the story I believe. If plastic bags are banned in Chestertown, it can very well happen on the lower shore also. After all we got to help clean up the bay and save the birds and baylife.

Anonymous said...

Better yet is is the mid-shore bureau chief. Chief of what himself? He is the only reporter up their and to say it is a bureau would infer that he has an office or a building. He has neither. I have been laughing about the titles they have been giving their reporters since they started this a year or so ago.

Anonymous said...

The woman he interviewed said that people from Europe and NY ask her why they still use the plastic bags. As far as I know, Chestertown is not the only place left if the world that uses these bags. I agree about cleaning up the bay. Plastic bags aren't the only reason it's the way it is. Go down to the Wicomico River, it has everything you can think of in it that shouldn't be. I'm one of those who uses my own bags when I go shopping. When it first began people were buying the bags. From what I see when I shop, not many use them.

My original question was about WBOC sending someone all the way up there for this story yet they can't send someone a few miles to cover something locally.

Anonymous said...

WBOC is 2nd only to the Daily Times as our worst mainstream media. It's completely ossified under Steve Hammond.

dan said...

I would just be happy if WBOC stopped saying the phrase "..in stunning High Definition" a dozen times per broadcast.

We get it. You are in HD. Just like everyone else. Just like you have been for three years. Please stop.

The station is essentially a feel-good news magazine for mid to lower Delaware anymore. They stopped providing news and actual reporting long ago. (And for the sake of all the hard work and time the actual reporters have put in, stop calling Jimmy Hoppa a journalist.)