Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Where's Gary Comegys?

At last nights City Council Meeting it didn't take but one glance to notice Councilman Gary Comegys wasn't present, again. While last nights meeting was pretty uneventful, taxpayers have been paying his salary to represent them, some want to take away the health insurance for Debbie Campbell and Terry Cohen. Yet taxpayers are paying a Council Member, (Gary Comegys) a salary he's not earning. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Now look, I feel for Gary and his personal challenge with cancer. We all now know he's not running again but would YOU like to place a wager that Gary will be present when it comes to the vote to eliminate health insurance for Debbie and Terry.

Last night I stood before the Council and asked them just how much of a reduction I can expect off of my tax bill should they remove the health insurance on two Council Members. They stated they'd get back to me on that. I responded with, well I doubt I'll ever see a reduction.

We'll just have to wait and see if Mr. Comegys does in fact make that meeting. The bigger question was, I asked Louise why she asked Council Members to take a reduction in pay to relieve the taxpayers. The bigger question is, will Gary Comegys donate his salary for all of the meetings he has missed? I suggested they donate a portion of their salary, (if they so choose) but why isn't Louise asking Gary to donate his unearned income publicly.

No comments: