Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, October 08, 2010

SCAMS AND CONS

Joe must be that time of year the scams and cons are starting.  Seen a few on your blog last couple of days.

Well another might just be starting, this afternoon I had a young man probably between 18-20 yrs old come to my door with a clip board.  Stated he was with DP&L said he was going around to their customers trying to offer them discounts on their bills.   He did not have DP&L idenitification on him , showed me ''bills he got from my neighbors" ! states he could get me discounts and lessen the bill amounts, and asked for my most current bill from DP&L I told him I was not giving him any of my bills with my pertinent information on them and he left very fast.   

I called DP&L to ask if they had any representatives going  around door to door doing this and I was told they do not , and they should not ID themselves as connected with them,  I was told they are aware that there is a company trying to get some of their services away from them, and that they know they use these manuevers.   I also called the SPD after I spoke with this individual and they were to send an officer out with the description I gave them.   Please remind all citizens especially the elderly to be real careful about handing anyone a copy of or their bills, their is so much information they can get from them to be really careful.  

I guess holiday time is coming and there are those out there just looking for a foot in the door or info they can use for whatever use.   Be alert and question, also pause before you do anything.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a male come into my business and ask for 72 cents. he had just got out of the hospital and needed to catch the bus to pocomoke?? He was short 72 cents and would leave "his' wallet with me? I looked at him and said NO. He looked surprised I didnt give it to him... Get a job!

Anonymous said...

This is why I NEVER answer my front door anymore...worse than this can happen.

Anonymous said...

He wasn't from DP & L. He was trying to recruit customers through a coop and give you a set rate on your electric bill. Did you call the number on the flyer he gave you? This is to help you not DP & L. You can call and do it yourself without the young man getting any credit at all. The young man that came to my door was very polite and informative. I din't sign up but it seemed like an off I should investigate.

Anonymous said...

It's a shame you can't leave your front door open with the storm door screen down to get some fresh air, but every single time I do, I have someone come to the door. Yesterday, it was that stupid Capital Meat Company that sells meat from the van. I was quick with a no thank you and he left disgusted, but I'm going to leave my door shut from now on and not answer the front door either.

Anonymous said...

They came by my house too. This guy was with Direct Energy, however.

Daddio said...

I get their phone solicitations as well.

They can't compete with Choptank customers' rates so once I tell `em I'm on the Co-op they hang up and move on ...

Anonymous said...

they came to my house offering the discounted rates and needed a copy of my bill. I was interested but busy at the time & couldn't really talk, so I asked them for a brochure or something. the girl said that she didn't have a brochure. i said "okay how about a website...?" nope, no website. I told her to bugger off. no brochure, no website, door-to-door salesman. i smell scam.
anyone can buy an embroidered shirt and print a name tag on their home printer.

Anonymous said...

Delmarva Power electric rates are among the most expensive in the region. New legislation has opened up power delivery vendor competition and the people going door to door are just people hired by competing firms to solicit subscribers. Typical savings are around 10% off your current bill.

Obviously DP is not a big fan of these people.

You can go online and get the info as well.

Anonymous said...

Not sure of the law in Wicomico, but it should be a law that any door-to-door solicitors must register with the county in which they want to work. The names of all persons soliciting is provided and criminal records checks are done on all. Once approved, each individual is given a county issued permit. Caught soliciting without a permit, you receive a civil citation. A fee, which is paid by the company, is charged for each person wanting a county ID. Central communications and the police department are provided with an updated list of companies and individuals approved for door-to-door solicitation.