Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Friday, September 24, 2010

RICHARD “LEE” OUTEN FOR FRUITLAND CITY COUNCIL

About me: My Wife, Christy, and I bought our first home in Fruitland 14 years ago shortly after we were married. We have a daughter, Taylor, who is 8 years old and attends Fruitland Intermediate.

I am a 1991 graduate of Wi- Hi. I attended Allegany Community College, Wor-Wic Community College, and UMES.

My employment with Wicomico County as Traffic Operations Supervisor (since 1998) has enabled me to have a thorough understanding of Government from things such as budgetary aspects, infrastructure, obtaining grants, and of course traffic related issues. I have had the opportunity to become acquainted with a variety of people in government throughout the state. I have enjoyed working for the citizens of Wicomico County.

My motivation to run for City Council exists because I am a taxpayer just like you. I am frustrated in the increase in our water and sewer rates, as well as the increase in our property tax rate, especially considering the tough economic times we are facing.

Among other things, I am concerned with what appears to be an influx of college rentals in the City and the problems that are sometimes associated with them.

This year, when the council was prepared to pass another steep increase in our water and sewer rates, I presented them with some alternative measures. These measures were aimed to ease the burden on our small family homes, and to those that use minimal amounts of water, rather than institute an across the board increase for all users regardless of how much water you use.

I offered other options to the council, such as implementing commercial rates, since they are making money here while we are just trying to live here, along with changing the rate structure so that everyone is not paying for some that use excessive amounts of water. Although these measures did save us some money, I think we can do better.

My Pledge: I pledge to vote NO to any increase in property tax, and continue to explore ways of lowering our water and sewer rates. I will stay informed and do my homework to look for areas throughout the City where we may trim costs.

Feel free to contact me if you have a question or concern- 410-341-7079, or email me at rleeo2@verizon.net.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lee is the absolute best and will work hard for Fruitland.If you want to deal with the college students, get Dean Cowell on board.

Anonymous said...

Have you been in Fruitland lately!? College students are not the problem, the riff-raff that "hangs out" all day and night are the problem. It seems that there are more derelicts of all races in the City of Fruitland than in most places around here. Ever been in the convenience store on the corner of Camden Ave & W. Main St after dark!?! College kids won't cut or rob me ... but hooligans will.

Anonymous said...

I have known Lee for many many years and he is an upfront and honest man, if I lived in Fruitland he would definitely have my vote!!!

Anonymous said...

I also have known Lee for a number of years. He recently attended a grants seminar to get grant money for the county. He will do the same for Fruitland. Lee is a young hard working family man. I could not propose a better canidate to run for Fruitland Council

Anonymous said...

Will Lee vote to abolish the Fruitland Police Department and merge it into a single County Law Enfrocement agency if Joe Ollinger is elected?

Anonymous said...

I live in Fruitland and am very pleased with our police department. To be such a small force they are on top of things and when you call on them they arrive promptly everytime!! I would hate to see a merger with the county....God help us if that were to happen!! On the subject of Lee Outen, I think he is just what Fruitland needs!!! We desperately need someone to help us fight these taxes, and water/sewer increase!!! Lee Outen has my vote!!!

Anonymous said...

The Cedar Commons Development in Fruitland was supposed to be a family friendly place to live. Somebody had to approve the water,sewer and building permits for the new college housing units on Brown St. A family member almost bought housing there. I do not think college housing should have been permitted in a family housing area. What person would want to buy any property in there now

Anonymous said...

Go Lee the best of luck

Anonymous said...

Lee is an outstanding candidate and will make an excellent councilman.