Attention

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not represent our advertisers

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Cramming

Joe,

I have discovered a new(?) consumer ripoff called cramming. I noticed charges on my verizon phone bill for the past few months which I did not recognize, so I did some research. Come to find out that there are several outfits out there that "cram" unauthorized service fees on phone bills thru most of the major carriers (verizon, at&t, etc). I was charged 14.95 for internet tv by cybertube via ILD, 14.95 for email by members edge via ILD, 12.95 for ringtones (on a land line?) by monthly ringtone via ILD, and 14.95 forvoice mail by OAN/ideal savings now. Keep in mind that these are monthly fees!!! I also found that there are numerous complaints about this very thing from across the country and going back several years.

You can check them out on line: www.fcc.gov/cib/consumerfacts/cramming.html and complaintsboard.com (use ILD, OAN, cybertube, members edge or ideal savings now in the search function.

Apparently this is widespread, and I would suggest that your readers may go back and check their phone bills to see if they have been charged for these or any other suspect "services". I don't know that it is illegal, but it certainly is unethical. I have called the appropriate numbers on the phone bills for the service providers, and have thus far has two of the charges debited back, but what an inconvenience and hassle. How many consumers are unaware and just pay the bill without checking it over??

Just a heads up.

Thanks

Steve Norton

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Verizon offers a service to stop cramming, it's free...but you do have to ask them for it.
Any company calling you to "verify your 'free' yellow pages or white pages ad" is looking for you to simply say yes to anything, yes the information is correct,etc...and with that one word they have your "approval" to charge your phone bill whatever they wish. It's wrong, it seems like it should be illegal, but it's not. Scammers come from everywhere...

Anonymous said...

i got hit with one also on my cell phone. a quick call to verizon and it was taken off, and a block added

Anonymous said...

It can happen on cable phone lines too.

Anonymous said...

I was charged by AT&T for NOT making any long distance calls! Needless to say, I no longer have AT&T as my long distance carrier.